Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Turkey  (Read 1696 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Poorly Turkey
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:40:15 pm »
i bought 3 young turkeys in November. They were not destined for Christmas as too you. I think I have 2 females and 1 male but one female is white and other two are female pheasant colour! White girl was la,e about a week ago and I sprayed her leg with AB spray and she seemed a bit better but I noticed in Tuesday that the hens and possibly the cockerel were attacking her. I have taken all 3 away into a separate pen but they are not happy. The White one spends all day lying down and I keep expecting her to die on me but she is eating and drinking.

Anyone any ideas what to do or if she is likely to improve? I'm putting some Tylan in the water for a few days just in case it's not the leg or beating that's made her poorly.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Poorly Turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »
Was there a visible wound on her leg?  If she's a commercial breed, there is a possibility she just hasn't got the strength in her legs to hold up her body.  She may be peeky and your treatment may help, but sometimes they just seem to go downhill for no obvious reason - possibly genetics. 

Good luck. I hope she picks up! Whilst she is eating and drinking there is still a good chance.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:16 pm »
She's supposed to be a bronze Turkey but I'm confused as to how some can be white and some brown/black. Anyway took them away from hens and put antibiotics in Water for a few days and she has perked up again. There was no wound but the spray did fizz. I'm wondering if she had s bit of a reaction to the NedzBedz I put I. As she kept pecking at her feet. My goat also has a reaction on her legs since I put in their bed area.

Hopefully when she grows more the hensw won't bother her...or I will have eaten her!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:00:18 am »
My turkeys used to chase the cockerels so given a few weeks she should be able to cope. Is the leg still bothering her? I had a lame stag which I chose to ignore because he was still eating and could get around (knowing he was bound for the pot I didn't want him filled with meds which the vets would do). When we plucked him it was obvious he'd broken something. I can't remember him spending much time lying down but that would be an obvious thing to do if you leg hurts! Weird about the bedding though - what's it made from? Also weird about the colouring-  mine were bronze and none of them were the colouring you describe - all a very dark brown/black with a lovely bronze sheen.

H

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:31:43 am »
No leg doesn't seem to be bothering her now. I think I caught it early. Bedding is the chopped rape straw which is supposed to be the most absorbent. They are now in my dog kennel roosting on the side of a mobile run. They roost on the fence but I'm scared to leave them there in case the fox can reach them tho not seen one for a while.

I got them from a friend and both parents were bronze but several of the poults were white, actually most of them. Maybe one is not pure and it is a throw back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS