Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who or what would do this?  (Read 6980 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Who or what would do this?
« on: December 18, 2014, 12:31:06 am »
A few times now, BH has found a good large handful of stuff put on top of the soaked dog food he's left in a small bucket overnight.

The stuff consists of bits of plastic, feathers, leaves, twigs.  It looks as though it's just been dropped in, it doesn't look organised at all and isn't compressed.  The bucket is a wee soft plastic one, about 10" deep, and the stuff comes up to about half way.

What would do this?  BH thinks it must be a squirrel (grey, I'd assume) trying to bury the dog food as part of its cache, but I am dubious. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: Who or what would do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:59:10 am »
Hi
My guess would be a rat, I had one that used to do that in one of the hen arks, it would fill the hopper with feathers and shavings every night, I never saw it, but it started after I knew there was a rat problem and stopped a while after I put bait down.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:12:54 am »
It is the same bugger that has moved into my caravan !!! Not the Beast of Dartmoor but a rat. I will get bait today and see what happens, though having said that I have seen no evidence of rats, droppings, gnawing etc. Would a weasel eat rat bait? I wouldn't like to kill one of these.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:01 am »
Oh  :o

Well we have had rats before and we've never had them do *that* before!  Why would it do that?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:12 pm »
Hi,
I have no idea why they would do that, it seemed to be just in the one hen ark, obviously we had more than one rat and they went to other sources of feed as I could see the foot prints, but none of the feeders had debris put in them, could be that it was covering the feed in the hope that other rats wouldn't find it, a bit like some dogs who insist on covering their feed with their bedding!!!!!!!!
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »
BH is very unconvinced about the rat theory, and points out that poison would've killed a squirrel also.

I may ring our local Squirrel Action group and see what they say.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
Buy or borrow a trail camera and set it up by the bucket!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 12:07:36 am »
Buy or borrow a trail camera and set it up by the bucket!

If someone can give me a link to the thing to buy, and it's easy to set up, I would!  I just can't bring myself to start shopping for gadgets these days, it eats time, energy and computing power, and I never seem to be able to achieve confidence in a decision... I can't watch Sheldon agonising over Xbox vs Playstation, it's far too close to home! 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 11:05:06 pm »
OH said I could have a trail camera over a year ago, still can't decide on which one to get, so confusing, but sound so useful and interesting.
I was thinking squirrel, but rat sounds likely for the debris though.
if you have a stove/fire try spinkling ash round and see if you can recognise footprints?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:15:32 pm »
Sally I have a great trail camera you can borrow.
It's a Bushnell trophy am HD max. It takes great piccies which you download onto the computer. Very clear night vision and a clock so you know what time ithe critters are coming out. We use it to assess the rats at night , follow their path and times for Graham to rifle sit ( although the cat is beating him in killings  ;D ).

Just need to get the camera to you  :thinking:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 11:43:21 pm »
Sounds like a family trip to Kiln Hill is in order...  :excited:

First lambs due Feb 28th (unless Anya or Dora pop early - Chad was with them throughout) but not much really expected before around March 10th/11th.  My lot start March 19th, then the main flock March 26th.  But you are welcome any time, you know that!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:00 pm »
Sounds like a date  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 11:24:59 pm »
Would love to help lambing again this year. Under a Physio at present due to a torn cartledge  in my knee but I did express a strong need for use of the knee for lambing in spring when asked about life needs  :innocent:  She twisted a sort of smile so there is hope if you don't have anyone lined up to help and I'm fit enough ( and you are ok for me to hinder help   :innocent: )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 11:07:09 am »
We'd love to have you to help as much as you can safely manage :)

Pet lamb feeding is gentle on the knees ;)

We'll be a right threesome - BH has a ripped knee cartilage too, and mine has gone again.  It's okay as long as I keep it straight, so I strap it up if I am expecting duress.  And then rest it the following day.  It's got about a month to get a whole lot better than this...  :o

BH's is improving, but he also can't manage two days working among sheep at the moment.

Maybe we'll have to do three-legged sheep-chasing... lol  Strapping ourselves together in pairs which have two good legs between them!   :D

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 04:48:04 pm »

Maybe we'll have to do three-legged sheep-chasing... lol  Strapping ourselves together in pairs which have two good legs between them!   :D

PLEASE film this!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS