doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Isla
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 04:58:35 pm »

Just an example to perhaps show that early neutering,  though of course not the ideal and of course we would like everyone to listen and do the very best by their dogs, may possibly be the best course of action in some cases ...... for bitch and poor puppies.
And you really honestly think people like that will spend £200 having their bitch spayed at any time whether before or after the first season?   I do NOT think so!  They should be reported for cruelty!

:rant: :rant: :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »
Possibly not Doganjo but dogs in Wales can be neutered free  through the Dog Trust scheme if you have a CPH number. I know from chatting with the vet that they encourage people to take this up ..... and the vets do have contact with a lot of the farmers because of livestock so even if the bitch is never taken to the vet they are sometimes aware of dogs on the farm.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 08:13:45 pm »
My vet likes to do them before they have their first season.  His reasoning is that it reduces the risk of mamary cancers as they age.  He says the increased risk of urinary incontinence can be controlled with drugs.  One is life threatening the other isnt.

I find it amazing what suffering pet owners are prepared to let their animals endure "because they love them too much to put them down and they just want them to pass away peacefully" and yet (IME) in most situations as soon as an animal becomes incontinent and a carpet is fouled PTS is requested, even demanded - so I would argue that urinary incontinence is equally as life threatening as mammary cancer in a round about way! 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 09:42:45 pm »
Possibly not Doganjo but dogs in Wales can be neutered free  through the Dog Trust scheme if you have a CPH number. I know from chatting with the vet that they encourage people to take this up ..... and the vets do have contact with a lot of the farmers because of livestock so even if the bitch is never taken to the vet they are sometimes aware of dogs on the farm.
The PDSA has a similar scheme - but it's underutilised - many bitch owners  (farm or pet) just don't bother, even if it's free!  But we are not arguing against the case for early spaying for that reason - well I'm not anyway.  What I am saying is that it has been proved that it harms bitches physically to spay before their first season far more than any ills it prevents, and it's downright cruel to do it at 8 weeks! JMHO
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 11:00:49 am »
Both Rascal and Jake have been done, even so I have had to shut Jake in the bedroom as Isla has been making up to both dogs who are now getting to the fighting stage. Rather than risk one getting injured I had no choice so now sitting in the bedroom trying to console the wee guy who has gone in the huff. We think there has been a dog going about at night as Rascal has been barking his head off. Always around 10.30pm. OH let him out last night and he shot of into the field. Was gone a good 10mins. All quite after that. I know there is a dog who lives at the other end of the field  but not sure if its a dog or bitch. Lurcher  type thing. Be glad when things get back to normal .  I think cost has a lot to do with people not getting their bitches spayed. I spent almost £400 getting the Shepherds done, I expect the price has gone up quite a bit since then.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 08:16:20 am »
I doubt that my vet would advise a very young puppy be done.  It was 7 month old puppies we were talking about.  One was pure GSD one GSD x Rottie and one GSD x Mastif.  The Rottie x came into season so had to wait the other two were done, she is the one now aged 3 years that has yet to grow up mentally, the 18 month old Mastif x is a dog everyone wants to have.  Neither of these dogs are mine but the pure GSD was my dog of a lifetime.  My latest bitch was done at 5 years when she left the racetrack.

When I get my next GSD puppy we will of course discuss the options again and I will find out if he has changed his mind in the last year or so.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 10:57:36 am »
im sure a bitch should be done mid way between seasons.
my gsd (11) was spayed at 5 years old but still suffered from urinary incontinence. we did use drugs for a while but found that she only leaks about once a month and seems related to any change in her diet aswell - which I don't understand if it is hormonal? she leaks urine when lying down but also when walking around and she doesn't seem aware of it. its worth considering before spaying as I wasn't aware of the risk beforehand and definitely wouldn't have bothered if I had known.
she was spayed due to her minor phantom pregnancies and we just separated the dogs during her seasons previously.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 11:37:06 am »
It is a worry but having pups would be more worry. I never bred my Shepherds as I felt that too many puppies end up in bad homes. I found that out when I bred Irish Setters people told all sorts of lies. We took one pup back when I went to check on how he was doing. turned out the lovely big garden was a caravan park. they lived in a caravan with 2 kids and a puppy who would grow into a big dog. I never bred again. The farms round here have working dogs who can wander now and again. its been a nightmare just keeping Isla safe.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS