Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Isla  (Read 8006 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Isla
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:10:03 pm »
Poor girl has come into season, she is 10 months old. Both my male dogs have been done so no risk of pups. I asked the vet a couple of months ago if she could be spayed but he was not keen saying he prefers to let them have the first season. I have heard of it been done before this and wonder is it just down to the vet on their preference or does it cause problems later on.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Isla
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »
I have heard that neutering before the first season may increase the risk of  urinary incontinence. Not sure how true this is. Also in larger breeds, like our retrievers, they like to let them have longer time to 'do their growing' before neutering.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:45:21 pm »
It certainly can cause hormonal problems such as urinary incontinence. Best to let them have at least one season, it doesn't last long and though a bit inconvenient is soon over.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:06:37 am »
I had two stray bitch pups spayed before their first seasons.  The vet explained that it's a harder job before they've had a season, as all the bits are smaller.  He also said he might not have agreed to do it had it been an owner he didn't know and trust, as they can be even more prone to becoming overweight if spayed so early.

I don't know whether it's even possible or advisable to do it now that she's actually on heat?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:25:48 am »
My vet likes to do them before they have their first season.  His reasoning is that it reduces the risk of mamary cancers as they age.  He says the increased risk of urinary incontinence can be controlled with drugs.  One is life threatening the other isnt. 

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:58 am »
At one time spaying from 5months was the advice. The younger it is done the lower the risk of mammary tumours. But there have been other problems found with this over time. Urinary incontinence is one. Also it can interfere with bone and joint development, especially larger breeds. They are more prone to cruciate disease and other joint problems. Something to do with the hormones helping with balance of elements such as calcium. It can also affect behaviour development. Now the advice is to wait until the dog is fully grown so smaller breeds will be ready to Spey or castrate at a younger age than large breeds due to faster development. But neuter before 2years greatly reduces the risks of other problems developing such as mammary tumours. ( yes, the advise is for both male and female neutering). 
I haven't heard any problem with weight gain and age of neutering. Both male and female can put on weight more easily once neutered but this can easily be controlled by diet.

The APBC do a sheet of advice as to the pros and cons of neutering. I'll try to find it and post.

As with everything you are better to speak to a vet who has the up to date advice on this and can discuss your own situation.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:56:22 am by Mammyshaz »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 08:42:29 am »
For the female :-http://www.apbc.org.uk/system/files/private/summary_sheet_of_spaying_risks_and_benefits_bitch.pdf

For the male:-
http://www.apbc.org.uk/system/files/private/summary_sheet_of_castration_risks_and_benefits.pdf

Note that in both cases the majority of dogs and bitches can be neutered without any health problems once fully grown and stop the risk of unwanted puppies  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:55:07 am by Mammyshaz »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:52:46 am »
I had my German Shepherds spayed age 3 & 4 years old after I had finished showing them. The younger one ended up with urinary incontinence.  I will book her in Feb/March and that will be that. last thing I need is puppies.  Just as well we are in the middle of nowhere and the dogs nearby are bitches.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »
Reading that info sheet, Mammyshaz, it does say that early spaying of large breeds is not advised.  In particular, those breeds which are prone to osteosarcoma and/or joint problems.  And also to be avoided in dogs which will be very active - canicross, agility, etc, and presumeably working dogs too.

Our Veni, one of the pair that was spayed before their first season, was a total mongrel but similar size and shape to a Doberman.  We had her put to sleep, aged 10, when she developed a tumour in her elbow.   :'(   She had had painful joints from about 3 years old, with no medical reason ever having been found.  We had to give her several short walks a day, rather than one big one, and mainly walks where she would amble rather than run about.  If we were doing a long walk, and/or asking her to be very active - running and jumping - then we had to make sure she had a good warm up before being very energetic, and warm down after.  (She was a very happy, boisterous and playful dog in general, but did get stiff and sore if we didn't heed this advice.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:28 pm »
Oh Sally  :hug:

The problems just weren't known in years past. When I was a kid people just didn't get their dogs neutered. Over the last 20 years more and more data has been gathered as more dogs have been routinely 'done'.

American vets neuter at 12 weeks still  :(  :rant: and APBC aren't impressed. Especially where behaviour development is concerned. Our main concern are the health implications. Thankfully more and more vets are becoming aware of the problems associated with early neutering  :thumbsup: it's just getting the balance right with individual situations.

Our little Heidi was neutered before her first season because we had an entire male GSD who we wanted to mature and work.  She is 8 years now and no problems seem  :fc:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 06:47:33 pm »
Bitches should never be spayed before their first season - causes all sorts of health problems.  Some vets will do it but most responsible ones who value their clients and their pets health will advise leaving it until after the first season.  Pups are still growing up to a couple of years and to be honest I never spay my bitches till they are around 6 or 7 unless I have no intention whatsoever of breeding with them - and even then i wait till they're about 2 - in other words after the second season so a pattern can be assessed.

Also they should be spayed between seasons when the hormone levels are lowest - preferably on average three months after the previous season.

Hope that helps.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »
His reasoning is that it reduces the risk of mamary cancers

Ask your vet to check recent studies - this is no longer accepted.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:51:17 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »
His reasoning is that it reduces the risk of mamary cancers

Ask your vet to check recent studies - this is no longer accepted.

It is still accepted. As I said, each case should be assessed, some situations require a bitch spayed early. The health implications for and against need weighed up and unwanted litters seriously considered. In our practice we spey before first season as not all owners are responsible enough to keep the bitches in, many are latchkey dogs, ie out on the streets most of the day it's better they are spayed before the season when we can book them and phone to remind owners while the novelty of a young dog is still there and they are willing to bring them in. Once they are adult the litters start and we don't see the dogs until there is a serious health problem.

Unless you are a responsible breeder who hopes to have a litter, such as yourself, Doganjo, I would always advise spaying before second season. The risk of mammary tumours and infections such as pyometra are much higher and increase year on year after the second season. Unfortunately we operate on pyometras weekly, another reason we try to spay asap from 6 months. This isn't the norm in private veterinary practices but due to the nature of our work is often the best for the dog in our practice.
Three are other situations such as farm dogs or hunting kennels where the bitch is spayed due to entire males living together with the females. This is why all cases should be discussed with the vet and the best age decided. It's not as easy as a straight line.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 09:12:35 pm »
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/02/17/dangers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/16_2/features/risks-benefits-spay-neuter-your-dog_20685-1.html
http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf

Within 5 minutes I found these papers, and I'm not a vet - admittedly mostly American, but if my Scottish vet can have read these and other papers in the Uk and believe that it is inadvisable to spay early in most cases then I would expect others to at least do the research.
Vets should be strongly advising their clients to take proper care of their bitches not operating on them to prevent lack of care on their part.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 08:48:52 am »
Our vets advice would be to neuter bitches after first or second season for the reasons I gave in my first posting which has been more or less echoed by others.

However, while I totally agree that vets should stress to clients their responsibilities regarding the care of young bitches prior to neutering, it is not always that easy as Mammyshaz states.

I have spoken to two people recently both of which had litters of collies. They were farmers and neighbours. First person had an unexpected litter. Born in the barn where all farm collies were kept. Found in the morning. Two pups alive, other three killed by other collies. Surviving pups okay but bitch in 'shock'. Second person. Another litter on the way. Not planned. Bitch having second litter in as many years. First litter unplanned .... bitch caught when it was her first season. I express 'concern'. Reply .... she may as well have pups she is no good for working. Sire of pups..... errr.... not known. Could be other collie .... questionable temperament or GSD. GSD is very aggressive and must be kept chained even in the yard.

Just an example to perhaps show that early neutering,  though of course not the ideal and of course we would like everyone to listen and do the very best by their dogs, may possibly be the best course of action in some cases ...... for bitch and poor puppies. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS