Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any tips................  (Read 5274 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Any tips................
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:40 am »
Any tips on how to prevent pigs from lifting gates off their hinges?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Any tips................
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:36:09 am »
Baler twine and/or snappy cords.  Or both.

Baler twine around the hingey posty thingies to stop the round-overs being able to come off the posty-sticky-uppies.  Snappy cords to secure the upper end of the opening end to a chunky staple bashed into the post there.

(Sorry, having one of those mornings when I have to describe what things do, their names having temporarily escaped me.)

And if that doesn't work, barbed wire wrapped around the bottom rung  :o

All of the above for naughty native ponies too, except the last straw barbed wire has to be along the top bar.  And some thick-skinned ones will still think that makes nice Stratch-Mes  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:52:55 am »
My kind of language, Sally! Am off to that now ;D Can't use/ dislike barbed wire because of whippets. Will report back :)

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:54:40 pm »
In our pig fields we used one hinge upside down this prevented them fom being lifted off by pigs, you could use a steel wedge and bang it over the top of the hingepin again stopping them being able to lift off the gate.
Pigs are human tooo

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:05:12 pm »
Or put a padlock through the hole in the top of the hinge pin. Adds a bit of security and easy to remove if you need to.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »
Or put a padlock through the hole in the top of the hinge pin. Adds a bit of security and easy to remove if you need to.

or even a nail bent in place.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:04:18 pm »
Put the hinges on upside down.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 07:04:46 pm »
Have done Sally's thingy so will see how it goes.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:12:31 pm »
Aye the simple way is to invert the hinges.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:52:48 am »
Thank you all. I have one diminutive Kunekune sow who every three weeks takes out four metal gates to moon over my neighbour's boar. He's a Large White and behind an electric fence so they can't even have a snog :(

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:17:06 am »
DL ,
Apparently your small holding world is  suffering due to a lady's raging hormones . It could be worth while logging the urges so if you do want to breed her you'll have a rough fertility cycle to hand to enable you to plan ahead 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:45:01 am »
I'll give her hormones!!! She is an old sow and her breeding days are over, she's done me proud over the years. I am using all the tips given and may have to resort to bromide ;D

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 07:39:10 pm »
Upside down gate hinges is also a good security measure :sunshine:

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 02:14:12 pm »
Drill hole through lower hinge-pin and use split ring or any old nail to secure.

Quick, simple, cheap.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 01:28:30 pm »
I'll give her hormones!!! She is an old sow and her breeding days are over, she's done me proud over the years. I am using all the tips given and may have to resort to bromide ;D
We have a ten year old boar been firing blanks for years but who still thinks hes jack the lad, he likes to go to the gilt pens and have a cheeky smooch with the young 'uns thro the fence, dirty old man!!! Its all in his mind, he'd probably have a heart attack if he tried bless! :love:
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS