Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting a vineyard  (Read 3426 times)

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
Planting a vineyard
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:01:04 am »
I want to plant a small vineyard, perhaps 30 or 40 vines. Can anyone recommend a supplier. I am particularly looking for a supplier who will assess my location and soil type and give good advice as to the best variety. A few years ago I was in touch with a woman in Wales, her name was Sarah, who gave great advice but I Have lost her contact info

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Planting a vineyard
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:03:18 pm »
So , where in the world do you abide Jethro ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:29:04 pm »
Sunny  :sunshine: Bedfordshire, second driest county in England. 220 feet above sea level, Oadby loam. Desperately seeking Sarah. Do you know her?  :excited:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:13 pm »
You have PM.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:35:30 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:24:26 am »
PM?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:34:49 am »
Private Message (PM)  ... look in the second greenish line down from the top on any page ,fifth word group along ..Click on it ....that's where the message should be .

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 06:12:23 pm »
i have been looking at these people for next years project

http://vineandwine.co.uk/index.htm

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:16:40 pm »
Sorry, bit late on this but probably have some info. We planted two acres of vines last year (2014) - a grand total of 2200 vines. We used Simon from Vine and Wine initially but I can't wholeheartedly recommend him. He was recommending by Plumpton where my husband went on one of their vineyard courses and he did come down to see us (and we're Kent so it's a long way) but also promised a big report with everything we needed to know and do. The report never appeared so we were left with the discussion we'd had but no more. Mind you, he didn't charge us for the visit either - and we did order the vines through him (his office staff are more efficient than he is on paperwork).

We also used http://vine-works.com/ - they were the other company recommended by Plumpton and are much closer to use in Sussex. James is also not that easy to get hold of but in person he knows his stuff and he has the contacts to help plant/trellis. So he arranged a German/Polish planting crew which did all the planting for us (you might not need it for smaller numbers) and then there was a Romanian crew who came over in September to put the trellis up for us (we used a local fencer for the end posts which are wood).

I've had some contact with two other suppliers:

http://www.winegrowers.info/ - I've just ordered some metal stakes through Derek because he's cheaper than the others but don't know anything apart from that (and they're not here yet....). But he's in Somerset so maybe convenient for those in the South-West and he consults.

http://www.vineyardsolutions.co.uk/ - who are Essex based and might be better for the OP (if he's still reading!). I had them quote for the trellis but have not met Ian in person. I think he would have been cheaper but we went with James because he already knew our land etc. Ian was quick to respond via e:mail which I normally take as a good sign!

I think they will all order vines for you as well as advising on the rest of the set up. It probably is worth going on a course though if you're going to be serious about it! Vines don't get dispatched from Germany until May because they have to be sure to miss the last frost here in their first year - they're kept in cool conditions there to extend their dormancy so they arrive bare root.

Any more questions, feel free to shout. I'm just into spraying course and crap like that now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS