Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: won't dry up......  (Read 6135 times)

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
won't dry up......
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:29 am »
Hiya all.  As said she won't dry up! Been on half ration nd milking went down to one a day nd now when udder tight , or 'too pink' but still MASSIVE!!! Thought by some miracle, going to the Billy would have triggered something but apparently not! This is the girl that hasn't kidded for two years. ....
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: won't dry up......
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:12:09 pm »
Try reducing her feed even more.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »
She's on 2lbs nd hay..can't really take it down any more can I?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:54:52 pm »
Yes you can, if she is just in-kid, she will be fine. You only have to increase her feed again in the last 8 to 6 weeks.

I am drying off two of mine and they are on tiny amounts of some a shreds and a tiny dusting of oats. It's the only way - after all they are bred to make milk!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:26:41 pm »
I have one who I am drying up and she is on unlimited hay and only a token feed of hard feed. It's the only wag we can do it with our heavy milkers
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:50:05 am »
I have the opposite problem - one who is drying up only seven months after kidding. The other one is also not giving much (although I suspect she is still suckling) but it is more than three years since she kidded.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:36:07 am »
Ok. How long should it take? Nd if she gets massive again do I milk her off?
She won last time I tried to dry her off, thank goodness she wasn't in kid then........ :rant:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 11:19:58 am »
When you are milking her how much are you taking off. I would generally just take enough to ease any tightness in the udder and no more. Watch carefully for any heat but work on the basis that milk production is demand driven. The pressure of the milk in the udder sends the signal not to produce any more.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »
Only taking enough to reduce tightness. Looks a good colour, doesn't feel tight but does look a bit 'lumpy', doesn't feel lumpy......argh. :roflanim:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »
stop the hard feed.
we had an umated gg who came into milk every spring, she was just on grass and always took a while to dry up.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 03:18:07 pm »
I'm no expert but the veterinary goat books I have say that incomplete milking is more likely to predispose to mastitis and you are better to reduce the frequency but milk completely when you do.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 04:25:58 pm »
I'm no expert but the veterinary goat books I have say that incomplete milking is more likely to predispose to mastitis and you are better to reduce the frequency but milk completely when you do.

If a goat feeds her kids naturally she will always have some milk in her udder...., so the reason it is said that incomplete milking will increase the likelihood of mastitis then that is due to the goats lying down on dirty/wet/warm bedding straight after milking. I use a teat dip (diluted iodine solution) and have had no problems (yet, I am sure I will have a case at some point...)

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 01:12:09 pm »
This girl also gets udder odema before she kids..her udder was almost on the floor last time she kidded! Nd they were quads, 4 boy's,  which she promptly rejected!!
Soo, I've had to take a little from her udder before...
She's still looking Ok, on just a little barley nd hay, but still huge..not hard or red though....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »

This is what we do, milk out completely, but keep reducing the frequency.

I agree with the other people, if you want her to dry off 2lbs is way too much food.

Beth

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:39 pm »
Ok she's been on just hay nd a sprinkle of oats..should I milk her out completely nd risk her deciding she's off again, or leave her as she is? Been nearly a week now since she's been milked, nd udder soft pliable not red BUT still at at least half capacity. ...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS