Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I had a day of  (Read 1724 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
I had a day of
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:06:52 am »
I had a day from my work so worked for a day on the smallholding got lots done and feeling good. What do you  do on your day of.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: I had a day of
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:13:36 am »
I had a busmans day off - I helped a neighbour dig their allotment after receiving a non-cultivation notice. They were worried because they had had a bad year.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:33:26 am »
Unfortunately Big Chicken, we don't actually have full days off but do occasionally get mornings, after the chickens are out into their runs. We take trips out to explore, so far only the mountains really (Pyrenees). Other mornings are viewing property, invariably turning out to be a waste of time, but at least gets us out of the house.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:43:46 am »
No days off here, not even Christmas Day.  If we plan to go out somewhere we have to plan it around feeding and milking the goats  twice a day.   ::)
Graham

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:35:10 am »
Since I retired I think of every day as a day off!! Though I do tend the pigs, sheep and poultry, do a modicum of housework, tend the gardens, cook, bake................I could do with a day off ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:09 am »
We rarely have a day off as there's always the animals to do but we did go away for the weekend past - it was our anniversary. Reading, sleeping, eating - great weekend. Oh, and we went to see "the Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies"

A day off for Dan is working around the smallholding  ;D

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:06:39 am »
Hi All

Q your a hero. Helping a neighbour with their allotment.

The allotments that we were involved with " they would moan and gripe about others plots but would they lift a spade to help.......................................................................no"

SV

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:58:35 pm »
stock fencing 'til it started to get dark (& wet), then did a bit of DIY underpinning of the falling-down outbuilding (in the shelter of the lean-to building on it's side). then indoors for a piece of chocolate cake  :)  .

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »
Hey, well done Q.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS