Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dermatitis  (Read 2392 times)

sammy

• Joined Mar 2009
Dermatitis
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:55:24 pm »
Hi all. I have a goat who is desperately itchy all over. Vets can find no solution but I have a 3rd vet about to tackle it again by scraping skin and culturaling it. From my Googling it seems to be Staphyloccal Dermatitis. It is not mites or lice. She lives with other goats, they are not affected. Loads worse in winter with moisture about. Any help out there??

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Dermatitis
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:17:50 pm »
Yep, it is a stress thing most likely - is she in kid? Not an easy one to treat I know from experience, likely to re-cur at any given time.
Treatment with combination of steroid injection and antibiotics (Betamox), also injection.

Think about it careful - it may be hereditary, or maybe not. I had to give up eventually as the continuous treatment meant that we couldn't drink the milk and it was stressing me and the goat to inject her every couple of days. She was PTS.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. What breed is she?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:33:35 pm »
It might be irritation from bedding. I found some of mine were itchy and their legs got scabby, a bit like rain scald in horses. I found rubbing sudocrem into it and washing in hibiscrub helped plus I think I used the Coopers pour on in Case it was mites. Just found one kid with sore leg tonight.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:51:31 pm »
Guess you've tried dectomax in case any mites about? As Anke says often these are an allergic reaction so even a low level of allergen can trigger tremendous itching while the cohorts are seemingly unaffected. Topical zinc sulphate can help control secondary infections such as staps & dermatophilis. Steriods will help relieve itching but it keeps reoccouring then your probably looking at allergy which wont be cured only managed.  There is a strong tendency for allergy/ atopies to be genetically based. Short term calomine lotion is quite good for any hot spots or cortavance (topical steroid spray) but if your not getting anywhere with your vets I'd suggest PTS as most treatable conditions are pretty easy to diagnose.
No other neurological signs? Else scrapie could be a remote possibility.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:45:05 am »
Hiya. You could try a blackberry brew. 1 handful of leaves to 1 pint of water. Bring to the boil slowly with lid on. Take of when it comes to the boil nd let it steep.(if you can). Give her a good rub down with a flannel soaked in brew. Usually with garlic and elder leaves for mites etc. Give her some of the liquid internally as well. Try it a coupleof times nd you should see an improvement..hope it helps. Not a great time of year to be washing her down I know.....
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

sammy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 01:16:55 am »
Guess you've tried dectomax in case any mites about? As Anke says often these are an allergic reaction so even a low level of allergen can trigger tremendous itching while the cohorts are seemingly unaffected. Topical zinc sulphate can help control secondary infections such as staps & dermatophilis. Steriods will help relieve itching but it keeps reoccouring then your probably looking at allergy which wont be cured only managed.  There is a strong tendency for allergy/ atopies to be genetically based. Short term calomine lotion is quite good for any hot spots or cortavance (topical steroid spray) but if your not getting anywhere with your vets I'd suggest PTS as most treatable conditions are pretty easy to diagnose.
No other neurological signs? Else scrapie could be a remote possibility.
I've only just seen all these replies!! So sorry for not replying to ALL OF YOU. Having tried with Dectomax and Eprinex over a year ago, I'm now strongly suspecting 'farmvet' to be right. You are right, it doesn't take many mites to upset a sensitive goat. So I have just injected her with Dectmax (4.5ml ie; double dose as she is a goat) and Eprinex mixed with 2 parts oil and brushed onto worst areas. She also gets antihistamine. She is expecting triplets! Does Zinc Sulphate come under a brand name?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS