Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please! Bullying chez chooks  (Read 4029 times)

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Help please! Bullying chez chooks
« on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
Hi, can anyone advise, please?  We have just 6 hybrid hens at the moment, but they have not laid for a few weeks.  They seem healthy and alert, except that four straggly ones keep losing feathers.  I had de-loused them, but it looks like 2 big girls are ruling the roost and pecking the others.

I was wondering whether getting a cockerel would sort them out and put a stop to the bullying?

Thanks
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Help please! Bullying chez chooks
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 03:39:53 pm »
They're probably moulting, they'll maybe look oven-ready before they finish! If they have plenty of room to escape don't worry but if not you may need to separate them to where they are safe but can still see each other until they get their new feathers. :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:04:31 pm »
Remove the bullies to another pen and reintroduce them when the new feathers have come through.  They'll be at the bottom of the pecking order in an established group.

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »
I thought moulting was a Springtime thing - am I wrong?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »
Hybrids seem to be a rule unto themselves Smallflockshearing. There are, after all, designed to lay like crazy and only to live 18 months being despatched before their first moult.

Our Pedigrees all moulted between June and November, although a few stragglers still have feathers to finish.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 07:50:24 pm »
We find 90% of ours moult at the first drop in temp in autumn as the days close in. Some do it at other times, especially if it's very hot which seems to shock them into it. But most of mine have just feathered up again and started laying.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:45:55 pm »
anti-pecking spray works a treat.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:12 am »
Two of our four hybrids have just activated self-pluck mode too, and are currently walking around very nearly oven ready. Giving them lots of space to avoid the bullies is good (our two moulty ones aren't hanging around with the rest of the flock just now). If that's not enough, as MF says, you're best to temporarily remove the bullies, rather than the ones being bullied.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:08:07 pm »
If they have been badly pecked cover up any red/blood spots with sudocrem or similar. Even their sisters will peck at anything red.

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »
Last autumn my hens started this ridiculous moult thing and then two of them dropped dead.  I assumed that an unseasonal moult bodes ill !

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:58:08 pm »
Certainly autumn is the normal time for pure breeds to moult - it's quite hard on them so maybe there was a correlation between the moult and dropping dead but I imagine there was another factor in there too. Also not sure about hybrids but many pure breeds won't be laying at this time of year because it's so dark - mine tend to kick back in when the days start getting longer although something is a bit odd this year because some have already started and the cockerels/drakes are all bickering a bit already.

H

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:46:25 am »
My Silkie cockerel is being a swine, bashing up all that aren't Silkies, hens as well as cockerels.

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 09:48:13 pm »
My girls are too young to moult but one of my neighbour's hybrids looks awful-really bare. We give the girls their normal feed in the mornings, and now we either give them noodles, pasta & veg or porridge with honey before they go to roost, as the weather's awful. The girls love it and I think it must help, a bit of extra TLC!! :thumbsup:

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:37:18 am »
A 3-day exile improved things a little briefly, but the big girl is back to looking menacing already.  After she was released, her minions took to the broody coop with her overnight in a show of unity.  Back in the main henhouse last night, 3 other hens crammed themselves into a single nest box, hiding from her.  They really are ridiculous creatures.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS