Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: track or wheel..digger  (Read 4942 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
track or wheel..digger
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:40:34 pm »
i am truly stuck on this one…to hire someone in to dig the track, is going to cost about 2k…i can buy a wheeled backhoe for 1.5-3.5k…
some have said get a mini digger…but….they don't have a PTO

i have found a very old MF40 digger, a ford 555 a ford 455 and a jcb 3cx with no cab

my heart wants the massy ferg…. its smaller than the others, but has a PTO, and i know i can get parts

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
Re: track or wheel..digger
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »
If your after building a track you will be better with a digger, even better one on metal tracks, this way you can track in (roll) the stone which crushes it down to help stabilise it.

An old 3cx or mf with a backactor will do the job but not as efficiently as a tracked machine.

I'm not really sure what you'd need a PTO for when doing your track, but if your thinking of a machine for general use after the tracks done then maybe you could sell the digger on and replace it with a tractor.
This will ensure your getting the right tool for both jobs rather than a a machine that's not really up to either job?

It's a bit of a pain buying and selling on machines but there's lots out there  :thumbsup:
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:12:43 am »
John

How many tons of stuff is there to shift in building your track ?

Where are you putting the a risings, and how will you get them there ?

If you buy a digger how many other jobs have you got for it ?

Have you used a digger/back actor  before ?

Why are you mentioning a pto ...what do you intend to use this for ?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 10:39:05 pm »
Buy a 3cx - have 2 days tring to get to know what  goes where and in which direction.

To be honest - get a contractor in unless you have nothing else to do with your time.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:01:03 am »
A digger on tracks then sell it and buy a tractor especially for your sloping land a MF40 won't be that much use between the vines.

You could just hire a digger for £200 for the week and pull your finger out,
I've lent mine out to a forum user in Launceston until the 17th Jan, I want it myself for a while after that but I'm thinking aloud here, you collect my trailer as your passing pick digger up on 17th do your drive drop it back with me on the Friday night on your way home.
Or can I dig the drive in 1 day ? (17th)
How long, wide, deep ? Is it that horrible clay soil they have down there ?
You know me I would suggest 10" deep Min. 16 feet wide and 15 feet longer than you think you need.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:42:56 am »
 ;D thats a lot of questions
and good one's

there will be lots to dig out and build up…so what gets dug out will actually get used in the levelling,
the little MF40 i am buying also has two forks..so this will be handy for unloading the new barn…the front bucket will also come in handy when building the barn, plus mucking out

yes i have used a backhoe before..i use to reglaze plant, and often had to move things to get the windows in,

the pto could come in handy for many things..i could get use of a PTO cement mixer, and rotovator,

it wouldn't be needed in the vineyard..the BCS would cover that.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 06:14:03 pm »
Have you had chance to have a proper play with that new digger of yours yet then john ?

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:37:35 am »
some good points, the old Massey fergs, have the screw on hydraulic connections. which means a lot cheaper when they go, she digs well, even though she could do with a better bucket

new tyres going on today,  :thumbsup: and she has had a full service

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS