Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheeky rats  (Read 5387 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Cheeky rats
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:28:18 pm »
I have rats in my workshop. Poo everywhere.

I've put down a Nooski trap but so far they've eaten 3 lots of bait and made a nest in the trap without setting it off! At least they're used to it now and some of the bait is poisoned
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Cheeky rats
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 08:38:29 am »
Chatting in the ag store this week and they are selling a bucket of bait every hour.  It is stacked by the counter as it was not staying on the shelf long enough for the effort.

Every time we think ahh that's cleared them another wave seem to move in.  The other day 3 of us dropped a bait packet behind the coal store within half an hour as the previous one had gone.  The current packet is untouched after two days so fingers crossed that is it for a while again.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:22:21 am »
My pet rat has now eaten 3 bags of poison. There's another bag emptied into the trap and I've set the camera up to catch a glimpse of the little love.

I'll put a different trap down in due course as I'd rather have the body to dispose of than a dead rat rotting under the floorboards...

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:08:49 am »
Chatting in the ag store this week and they are selling a bucket of bait every hour.  It is stacked by the counter as it was not staying on the shelf long enough for the effort.
According to a pest control company up here, rats are really bad this year for some reason.

Our one seems to have disappeared, hopefully as a result of the 3 sachets of poison.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:45 am »
Two mild winters have caused numbers to increase.  When we moved here the previous owner told me to bait all year round and I have.  The crucial time is Autumn when they move in off the fields looking for a warm hotel room for the winter.  Our hay barn is floored by a layer of waste hay bales, so ideal for nests and runs but I always pour bait into the exit holes.  I rarely find a dead one but we have at least 3 tonnes of bagged feed in the feed barn over the winter and if the bags remain untouched I know I'm on top of the problem.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:08:16 pm »
Well. Only put the camera up this afternoon. Already have video of the little critter... he's nibbled some of the poison bait but there's some left so perhaps he has a tummy ache! Hope so :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:49 pm »
I haven't seen any this year. I hope it stays that way.

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 10:17:22 am »
Hi All,

Lesley, hope it stays that way.

We have rats in the loft at night, not sure if they are playing football, rugby, having a dance......... but don't they make a noise.

They are eating their way through copious amounts of poison, local store is doing well out of me this year.

I think I will follow your lead Marches Farmer.

SV

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »
Well, there are either two rats, one large, one small, or a rat and a mouse, which would be why the trap wasn't triggered. Still some poison left in the trap this afternoon, so maybe the tummy ache was terminal (they'd eaten the entire banquet I'd left out elsewhere)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:17:51 pm »
It's official, a rat and a mouse. I have them both on video and have caught the mouse in the act of eating the bait from the rat trap. Both of them still very much alive this evening so more poison going down tomorrow and I will set some old fashioned traps too as I'd rather have the body to dispose of...

...problem is, I bought a bar of cheap chocolate to use as bait and it's already been eaten...  :innocent:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 01:58:16 am »
Because rats & mice have bowel & bladder incontinence they leave a trail of pheromones for other rats & mice to follow.
The more used a trail is the greater attraction to the other rodents for  rats 7 mice really only go walk about for some where new to live ,food , drink & sex ( a bit like some folk I know )

You could well have caused the demise of the original foragers and what your now seeing on the camera is the rest of the rat & mouse society in the locality, so keep feeding the traps & bait stations.   

Only when you find it has not been consumed or tripped for a period of 14 days can you  consider you're reasonably free of rodents. Even then you will still need to keep a baited & trapped perimeter protection especially around your feed stocks .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 10:36:14 am »
I don't have any feed stocks, don't know what they're eating!

Is there any bait that mice won't eat that rats will? Rat doesn't seem to like the Nooski trap so I've set a couple of others with chocolate.

Just eaten a whole block of rat bait... Dairy Milk... :(

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 11:06:01 am »
We had a massive rat problem a couple of years ago, but cleaned em out with poison blocks, the trick is use enough and not too little, I would dot them everywhere, making sure no pets/poultry can get to em. You could always get pest control in to deal with em.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 09:31:53 am »
One of my mousetraps has disappeared! The camera I have set up takes three pictures in quick succession and the first two show a mouse nearby and shows the trap clearly, the third one, it's just gone! Can't find it!

All the other traps and bait remain untouched so I presume the poison has done its trick. I'd rather see the bodies as they'll be rotting under the floorboards now but at least there shouldn't be so much poo around now...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 11:11:17 am »
A rat will be wearing it as the latest fashion.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS