Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: very small piglet help  (Read 7596 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
very small piglet help
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:57:25 am »
Deiliah's piglets are 11 days old now, and I don't think the smallest one has grown at all since they were born.  He did look wee to star with, but the others have doubled in size, and he now looks absolutely minute.  He does seem healthy, no signs of any illness, but is not quite as lively as the others.  He seems to be feeding fine, and Delilah adores him, he tends to stay closer to her more of the time than any of the others.  He gives the general impression of something premature.  I have a feeling he might not make it, but obviously want to do everything I can to give him every chance - any advice?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: very small piglet help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:51:43 am »
Sometimes this happens.  Not your fault and if there's something wrong on the outside there's often something wrong on the inside too.  All you can do is resign yourself to the fact that however short his life is it will have been a very good one.  Often they appear absolutely fine in the morning and you just find them dead in the sty a couple of hours later - no sign of illness, inuury or distress.  They just stop.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:41:13 pm »
I've always noticed with ours that the mums tend to reject any which aren't quite right - it's almost as if they know there's something wrong with the piglet and focus on the well ones, so if she's taken to it that's a good sign in my book  :thumbsup:
The best thing is to leave well alone - mum knows best  ;) If you were to start feeding the little one it may start to smell of you and get bullied by it's siblings. If it's eating, sleeping, pooing & peeing there's no need to intervene. Are they in? If so, a clod of earth or an iron injection wouldn't hurt and you do get a 'kick start' stuff for piglets- quick squirt of liquid down the throat and it's done. I can't remember what it's called now, but I'm sure the vets will have some.
Good luck and keep us posted xx

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »
I'm not advising it necessarily but it is possible to bottle / pan feed a piglet, and give them a top up.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 09:05:35 pm »
We had one like that from our last litter - just didn't grow. Every day we expected to find her dead, but she hung on. We started the piglets early on some high protein weaner pellets soaked in goats milk. I think all you can do is give some extra feeding and hope! :fc:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:12:43 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Tonight when Delilah was eating her tea, the piglets decided they were hungry, they were all feeding whilst she was standing up, but tiny piglet couldn't reach.  It was very sad, but he was stretching to try.

They are inside and had an iron jab on day 3, do you think I should give him another one? 

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 12:54:54 am »
Hi all, greeting from Denmark(in Australia). :sunshine:
Once you given a piglet a single shot of iron its normally a waste if given more as a general rule.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:50:28 am »
Hi Stevie  :wave: Long time!
No need for a second jab if he's already had one.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:58 pm »
He still seems perky enough tonight, although not quite as bouncy as the others, so we'll keep going as we are with fingers crossed, thanks for the support and advice everyone, much appreciated.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »
Try to get some food introduced asap, they can take it pretty young, especially if its ground up and mixed with a little milk to get them into it.

Our bottle fed piglet took to the bottle very easily, and after a few days had enough strength back to fight for her place amongst the others. She is now well integrated with her 10 siblings, but will be staying here I think.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:13:25 am »
We top up wreckilings with baby milk from a large syringe, we normally do it whilst mum is eating so it doesn't miss a feed from her, a 60ml syringe of SMA or cow & gate growing up milk is what we use 3x day if poss.
Also get some creep(grower) pellets as they're small, at 11 days they'll be ready to go onto some hard food, ours are usually by now diving in mums trug to pinch hers! She usually flings them out at a huge rate of velocity and i fear for their lives but they always seem to bounce!
Mandy :pig:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 02:28:49 am »
Mum used to unravel dads beyond repair pullovers and knit several differing sized small pig body suits that could be buttoned on over a small piglet or lamb .
 Yes you guessed it the local farmers & small holders used to give us paupers the runts & weeds of the litters , we bottle fed them with my old banana shaped feeding bottles .

I seem to recall only one piglet not making it , sometimes mum if they were from our sows would take the worst  piglets to the sow for a feed still in their body warmers , bring it back indoors & put it in a big cardboard box in the living room six or so feet from the coal fire to keep them warm .

A friend of ours raised a couple of runt lambs earlier on this year in a similar manner.
The runt eventually out grew the normal ones and were so tame from being botte fed that they came to greet you even after they reached maturity .."  Dead cute " , according to Alison & our Munchkin.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 03:22:11 pm »
He took the the creep feed straight away!  I think he is warm enough as they are indoors and they have a creep with a heat lamp which they all use, still perky, just tiny!

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:21:31 pm »
At that age might be better with porridge other than creep. All.our runts are on porridge in morning then ad lib on creep. We use bocm Paul's, bang on.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 08:57:43 am »
How's Tiny Pig, Mowhaugh?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS