Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedgelaying - what to do with new brambles?  (Read 2843 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Hedgelaying - what to do with new brambles?
« on: December 12, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »
We laid one of our hedges last winter. Though I say so myself, we were rather pleased with all the new growth that came through this summer. :)  However, now that all the deciduous leaves have dropped, I can see how many brambles have grown through the new hedge. They are quite thick in some places.

Should I leave them to grow through the blackthorn, elm etc, or cut them out completely?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Hedgelaying - what to do with new brambles?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:27:50 pm »
Laying hedges is one of those magic things - you hack your hedge to within an inch of its life, then next spring it bounces back all fresh and green, thicker than ever.  It's hard on the elbows though.

It depends how you want your hedges to be.  If you want big thickets for all kinds of wildlife to live in, and you have the land to spare then a few bramble patches will be ok.  But brambles take over so I certainly wouldn't let them stay the whole way through the hedge. Even our cultivated brambles keep popping up inside the polytunnel, and in the middle of rhubarb plants.    Because I hate the stuff, I wouldn't leave blackthorn in there either.
Are you sure they are brambles and not wild rose?  If there's rose, then leave that as it's pretty and provides hips for winter feed for the birds.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:15:15 pm »
You have done a fantastic thing laying your hedge, it will rejuvenate , and act as stock fence if required. Unless you want a full time job of maintenance , My view would be to now let nature take its course.  For me blackthorn is a key  spieces in a traditional hedgerow...without it how will you make your sloe gin !
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:30:09 pm by stufe35 »

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 07:35:02 pm »
And without the brambles what would you put in your apple pies and crumbles for a bit of variety ?
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »
brambles will die off pretty soon - if you want good hedgegrowth then its worth going t the s**t pile next year and coverering the growth of brambles and other nasties to smother it arounf your new hedge growth.

Its worth smothering around the new hedge - takes days but a good cheese sandwich at diner helps.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS