Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making money at small scale pigs??  (Read 12355 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Making money at small scale pigs??
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:38 pm »
I always get the abbatoir to butcher the pig carcase for me, then I have a friend who breeds and sells pig meat himself to cure the bacon for me.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
Re: Making money at small scale pigs??
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 02:11:02 pm »
Yes.  Easy.

The complexities come if you direct market.

We sell direct to our local abattoir keeping one porker from every litter and produce two litters twice a year.

Abattoir check animals a week or two before they are ready and ask if they want higher/lower weight and we adjust feed as needed.  They charge £10 to collect each animal, deducted from killed-out cost.  We have never had a problem, are paid by transfer within two or three days of slaughter.

LB's are not paid for above the norm but are always taken.  Our local abattoir is certified for organic slaughter and the animals are received and processed quickly, quietly and cleanly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS