Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silkie never laid an egg  (Read 10239 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Silkie never laid an egg
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:30:41 am »
I have a silkie who is now a year old and has never laid an egg! Anyone else have this issue... All her mates laid and hatched chicks, but she never laid a single egg! I've have hens for 30+ years and never had a hen that wouldn't lay! Maybe she is just too posh to push  :roflanim: Any ideas? Anyone?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Silkie never laid an egg
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:20:42 am »
We have a Gold Laced Wyandotte -no eggs in 4 years. Obviously it's not a fault that can be passed on.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:19:11 pm »
Our cream crested legbar hen laid v soft shelled eggs for about 2 weeks and then stopped - she hasn't laid anymore since then (May 2012) She did go broody this summer and hatched out a legbar x maran chick - who is still with us, but he's now of an age where he is causing chaos so is destined for the pot - when I can catch him that is  :innocent: 

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:43:20 pm »
I had a frizzle hen that only laid one egg ever. She would go broody atleast twice a year despite this. Its just one of those things I think :)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:06 am »
We had a black araucana cross who would lay 10-12 eggs a year in one batch and that would be it until next spring.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:42:16 am »
Could be an infection early in life or a physical fault.  So long as you don't breed from the poor layers you'll probably only see one such in your poultry-keeping career.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »
I bought 4 copper black marans as supposedly pol at Lanark in August.  2 started laying within a week, the others have yet to produce one between them.  I paid quite a bit for them and its disappointing to say the least since the eggs I got so far aren't very dark at all.  I assumed they were younger growers put in to boost the sale as pols but now I'm not so sure as they're all of a size.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 05:03:34 pm »
Thanks guys :) i guess i will wait another six months and if she doesnt lay or go broody i will give her to someone as a pet. She is very tame

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »
The salmon faverolles I bought haven't laid anything yet they're six months old but I have had hens not lay till the following jan, that is if they don't lay in dec. I would kill and eat her or sell her at a cull poultry sale.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 03:09:08 pm »
I bought 4 copper black marans as supposedly pol at Lanark in August.  2 started laying within a week, the others have yet to produce one between them.  I paid quite a bit for them and its disappointing to say the least since the eggs I got so far aren't very dark at all.  I assumed they were younger growers put in to boost the sale as pols but now I'm not so sure as they're all of a size.

POL doesn't seem to mean POL any more. More like 16 weeks. Coppers sometimes don't start until 7-8 months, especially if they mature over winter. So I wouldn't panic yet. I've been told that their first eggs can be pale but then darken up but in my experience, they either lay dark or not, none of mine have ever changed except they get slightly paler across the board towards winter and often stop laying altogether until spring.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 07:02:03 pm »
We've recently bought Marans. There may well be a difference as these are the genuine French breed and not the English version which doesn't have feathered feet. Our copper black started laying at 28 weeks exactly. The copper blue and the cuckoo laid at one day under 30 weeks, both in the nest boxes together! All the eggs are dark brown as expected, but rather small at 52 now up to 60 grammes. The breed standard here specifies 75 -80.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 07:47:55 pm »
We've recently bought Marans. There may well be a difference as these are the genuine French breed and not the English version which doesn't have feathered feet. Our copper black started laying at 28 weeks exactly. The copper blue and the cuckoo laid at one day under 30 weeks, both in the nest boxes together! All the eggs are dark brown as expected, but rather small at 52 now up to 60 grammes. The breed standard here specifies 75 -80.
I kept a whole flock of marans a few years back I remember a certain nasty cockerel too, he hid in a tree in the garden a waited for anyone to walk underneath the tree, then he jumped and sunk his talons into anyone who was passing, in the end we had to go into the garden armed with a broom, of course we clipped his talons but he was still nasty. No marans ever again! :relief:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 08:18:25 pm »
You'll get small eggs for a month or so but they will pick up. I've got some copper blacks just coming into lay and have what look like bantam eggs but very dark so I'm chuffed with that. They will get bigger. As to being nasty, all 3 of our copper black boys are gentlemen so I think you got unlucky there. Generally a very good natured breed, very hardy but not over friendly like a RIR or Sussex might be.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »
The salmon faverolles I bought haven't laid anything yet they're six months old but I have had hens not lay till the following jan, that is if they don't lay in dec. I would kill and eat her or sell her at a cull poultry sale.

I don't think I will eat her as she is too small... but she won't be staying if she doesn't lay thats for sure! I will just give her away to someone who wants a pet. Fingers crossed she will lay in spring!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 11:38:23 pm »
a small percentage of hens will never lay an egg, in commercial laying flocks its reckoned to average 1-3% its just one of those wonders of nature  ;D

Unless you have just a single bird or have them individually penned you may never even notice it , even within a small flock.

It can as already mentioned be due to an injury, deformity, disease or possibly even that the bird is not actually one sex or the other, it may look like a hen yet have no female (or indeed male) sex organs.

My parents have 6 Scots Grey hens, they get 5 eggs a day regularly but have never had 6.

I check them regularly and one of them is definitely never in lay, its the same one but they won't let me put it in a separate pen to test the theory  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS