Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warm Feet  (Read 8942 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Warm Feet
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 05:18:55 am »
I buy Mole Valley Farmer cheap wellies (youth's size3) and put a newspaper insole in and wear Tesco thermal socks. It's the newspaper insole that keeps you warm. A bit uncomfortable at first but after a few minutes sort of moulds itself to your feet.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 07:12:25 am »
i love muckboots.. but yes check the soles.. they seem to come with different types of grip depends on which model you get .. I've got these ones
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUCK-BOOT-USA-Original-Chore-2K-Moss-Green-Wellington-Boots-Warm-Work-Wellies-/181234706967?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item2a326e2a17
they last me about a year which is good considering I wear them virtually all day everyday.. even most of the summer though I felt too hot in them for a few days.. lol. that was the summer them... . I wore the soles of the last pair very nearly through!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 09:56:23 am »
Bama Sokkets.  Just the best ever for toastie warm dry feet..  I wear them on top of my usual thin wicking socks and a wool pair - layers are always good.  If your wellies are usually a snug fit then you may have to experiment with just a thin pair of socks with them, or maybe even a wider/larger pair of wellies, but I wear my Bamas in my normal wellies.

I am another Purfort fan.  They also do a Ladies fit one - which as I have fat calves are too narrow for me.  They have good grip (of course I'm going to fall over now I've said that ::)), are light as a feather and last for ever, even when used around cattle.  (And of course mine will now spring a leak - but I've had them for years, so they owe me nothing.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »
Thank you :) Lots of ideas to explore

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 10:55:56 pm »
The thick soled winter puroforts are so warm, but just dont fit my feet.

Dunlop actiforts with a lambswool insole and old hiking socks fit like slippers, seem near indestructable and cost less than £20....and they are great at gripping on most surfaces........

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
The thick soled winter puroforts are so warm, but just dont fit my feet.

Dunlop actiforts with a lambswool insole and old hiking socks fit like slippers, seem near indestructable and cost less than £20....and they are great at gripping on most surfaces........
Where do you buy the aciforts? I get them locally and they cost nearly £25!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 06:10:18 pm »
Depends on how long you spend time in ya boots - although I dont like cold feet - I could not wear anything thats impervious to water, not becuase I dont want wet getting in - its just that after 12+ hours in a boot my feet are like trenchfoot scenario cos of the sweat.

I wear loose fitting riggers all the time - gives that extra day or two with the same pair of socks, just got to remember to get all the hay and straw out ya boot the next morning.

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 08:52:02 pm »

[/quote]

Charlies stores
£18.99

Pretty sure they have branches throughout wales, but drive past the queensferry one on my way to work inLiverpool

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/clothing-footwear-luggage/footwear/men-s-footwear/men-s-wellingtons

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 10:01:01 pm »

Charlies stores
£18.99

Pretty sure they have branches throughout wales, but drive past the queensferry one on my way to work inLiverpool

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/clothing-footwear-luggage/footwear/men-s-footwear/men-s-wellingtons
[/quote] I have one in the town neatest pretty exspensive though
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 10:07:51 pm »
Yes, their feeds and animal stuff are dear, but their acrigort wellies are cheap!

nutterly - yes, those ones, but I have to admit to wearing the newer (yellow midsole) non safety ones most of the time as they are so much lighter, and warm with an innersole and thick socks....

Regards
moel
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:15:00 pm by Moel »

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 08:40:08 am »
Depends on how long you spend time in ya boots - although I dont like cold feet - I could not wear anything thats impervious to water, not becuase I dont want wet getting in - its just that after 12+ hours in a boot my feet are like trenchfoot scenario cos of the sweat.

I wear loose fitting riggers all the time - gives that extra day or two with the same pair of socks, just got to remember to get all the hay and straw out ya boot the next morning.

Do they do riggers in size 3?

Sandyknox

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Dumfries, Scotland
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 08:48:53 pm »
I am a muckboots lover comfiest thing that you will put on your feet but i have came accross Goodyear wellies same style but only £55 i would give them a shot for comfort and warmth
S.Knox

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 12:23:30 pm »
I heard from someone, who wears them all the time, that muck boot quality has gone down, so they don't last as long as they used to do, I suppose its the materials they use. I found that when buying some shoes from hotters, that the leather felt plasticy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS