Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warm Feet  (Read 8690 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Warm Feet
« on: December 11, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »
I am already really feeling the cold in my wellys and yesterday wearing a pair with normal socks I had damp feet. Still not sure if the wellys leak or I had some weird form of sweaty but freezing cold feet!

I'm wondering if I need to change from wellys to something like muck boots? Or invest in some welly liners? or only wear thermals..

Any ideas/tips welcome :)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Warm Feet
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 05:33:45 pm »
I hate muck boots (if you mean the neoprene ones) -horrible sweaty things :) I stick lambswool insoles in everything and mostly wear decent rigger boots in the winter.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:56:31 pm »
Cheap wellies are useless. Invest in a pair of Dunlop Purofort. Expensive but will keep you warm and will last ten times as long as a cheap pair.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 06:02:10 pm »
My Muckboots are warm but awfully slippy.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 06:10:54 pm »
Ariat wellies have a special sole that stop my feet getting too cold
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 06:18:27 pm »
Was the neoprene I meant - will scratch them off! Will have a look at the fleece innersoles.
I dont really want to spend £ on wellys if I can get away with it because I have fat legs and I dont want to have to send stuff back

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:24:03 pm »
I just bought some Grubs boots, Fenline, which has a higher waterline than the frostline.  Hardened upper for cows feet and hardened underneath.  Very comfy, nice temperature. 

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 06:26:54 pm »
I have fat calves so use snow boots as they have an extra bit to extend with.  Get mine from Mountain express / ware house place. Keep feet warm. :)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 06:33:31 pm »
My Muckboots are warm but awfully slippy.

yes, I spent a lot of time on my arse when I had a pair, then I would take them off to have sopping wet feet  :-\

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:39:37 pm »
I have learned to wear 2 pairs of socks .... the inner being a proper inner walking sock which wick moisture away .... cos yes my freezing feet are often due to damp feet from sweating.

I disagree that cheap wellies are useless .... have had mine years and expensive ones can be punctured just as easily.   I tried to try some  the Dunlop purofort as they did seem good .... but the smallest size I could find was a 7 (which is the size I normally wear) but they were huge.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 06:46:36 pm »
My neighbour told me that he makes insoles for his wellies out of carpet underlay stuff. Says that he has tried all sorts and this is the 'best'.

I was trying on some Dunlop purofort wellies and found that they were huge and seemed very wide (I have slim feet). The assistant spotted me and told me to try the children's sizes in them. Perfection!!!!! She said that lots of ladies wore the childrens. They came with insoles and I'm really pleased with them.   ;D

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 06:53:53 pm »
My neighbour told me that he makes insoles for his wellies out of carpet underlay stuff. Says that he has tried all sorts and this is the 'best'.

I was trying on some Dunlop purofort wellies and found that they were huge and seemed very wide (I have slim feet). The assistant spotted me and told me to try the children's sizes in them. Perfection!!!!! She said that lots of ladies wore the childrens. They came with insoles and I'm really pleased with them.   ;D

Oh .... will head to the kids dept and try some
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 09:39:29 pm »
I bought a cheaper version of the muckboot for about 23/24 ££s cheaper and just as good as the muckboot. They're called Fladen. You could buy some good wellies like acifort, so comfortable and only a little over £20 also thermal socks would be good as well, plus some odour fighting insoles for the nasty sweaty smell.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:18:06 pm »
cheap wellies with well ridged soles, fleece welly liners plus walking socks.  Living with a mountaineer taught me 'layering'  :(;  and being an Aberdonian taught me economy  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 03:16:00 am »
the muck boots brand muck boots  are they the one that helped you land on your Kister sir ? if so  thanks for the advice before I made a mistake in buying them
James

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS