Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 60 Hebridean Ewes for sale, Notts/Derby  (Read 5258 times)

SheepishSophie

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Derbyshire
  • An aspiring shepherd
60 Hebridean Ewes for sale, Notts/Derby
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:00:59 pm »
Unfortunately I'm selling up my flock of Hebrideans due to loss of land and other factors. I'm absolutely gutted as I love my girls!

I have 60 ewes ranging from shearling to full mouthed, as far as I know, none are broken mouthed.

They are all on the Heptavac P system and have recently been wormed. Never had issues with feet and are all fantastic mothers.

I need them gone before Christmas so I havent an asking price, just taking the best offer.

I am five minutes from J25 on the M1 and very accessible.

Thanks

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: 60 Hebridean Ewes for sale, Notts/Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:59:20 pm »
When you say Hebs, what type etc?

SheepishSophie

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Derbyshire
  • An aspiring shepherd
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 02:22:25 pm »
When you say Hebs, what type etc?

Hi, I'm not quite sure what you mean?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:30:49 pm »
Two or four horned (or even polled)
Registered or unregistered

SheepishSophie

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Derbyshire
  • An aspiring shepherd
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:48:23 pm »
Two or four horned (or even polled)
Registered or unregistered

I have 3 4 horns, the rest are 2
Some are registered but I couldn't tell you which ones, sorry. I bred them commercially.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 05:53:39 pm »
Are they in lamb? If so, what to?

SheepishSophie

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Derbyshire
  • An aspiring shepherd
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:05:21 pm »
Are they in lamb? If so, what to?

Hi, unfortunately not :( They were promised to someone for 2 months, left a meagre deposit and then let me down the day they were meant to collect them last week. It's been a right mess up.

If they don't go by next weekend unfortunately they'll be shipped straight to abbatoir.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 06:27:42 pm »
What a shame. If they were in lamb I would have bought them, or if I was in a position to get them tomorrow I would and tup them for late lambs. Most of our hebs tend to be tupped last week and next anyway for late lambs.

Not sure what you would get for Hebs at the abbatoir. We sold 2 at auction as culls to test the water there a few months back and got £11 each. Wasn't expecting much as anything bar the norm gets very little at auctions but they were worth more than that to us to run on again. Never sent any to the abbatoir direct though. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:42:04 pm by moony »

SheepishSophie

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Derbyshire
  • An aspiring shepherd
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 07:03:52 pm »
What a shame. If they were in lamb I would have bought them, or if I was in a position to get them tomorrow I would and tup them for late lambs. Most of our hebs tend to be tupped last week and next anyway for late lambs.

Not sure what you would get for Hebs at the abbatoir. We sold 2 at auction as culls to test the water there a few months back and got £11 each. Wasn't expecting much as anything bar the norm gets very little at auctions but they were worth more than that to us to run on again. Never sent any to the abbatoir direct though.

I've taken Hebs before and my abbatoir requested any I didn't sell as mutton.. obviously 60 is a bit too much but if I can't get them gone, needs must and I shall take them to Birmingham as my friends have connections there selling cull ewes. Seems a waste for Hebs really...

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 07:19:21 pm »
What sort of price do you get for them at the abbatoir (PM me if you prefer)? We have a number of older hebs that if they were commercials would have gone a few years ago but the end trade for them that I can find is so poor, other than as small holder ewes which is what we try and do with as many as we can, it works better for us to keep them until they can't breed anymore or are dead on their legs.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:24:43 pm »
Ok, so any idea what rough figure you would put on them? I'm not desperate for a bunch of hebs, but if the price was right . . . .

PM me if you prefer.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:22:13 pm »
 So - you need them gone by next weekend. Without wishing to sound brutal, you need to give some idea of price if you don't want them to go for slaughter.     
Everything will sell at the right price. I know someone who is looking for some Hebrideans to practice his sheepdog on, and as has been said, it's not that late to put them to the tup. 
 So - will you take £11 each? If not - how much will you take?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 08:41:04 am »
I'm sorry for your troubles. Have you a Smallholder's Association where you live? You never know but they will help. If you were in the west country I would foster a few until you were better placed. :hug:

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 06:46:21 pm »
sorry to hear - If any are still alive I would be interested, could even home them until you find more as atm I just need something to eat my excess grass.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS