Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Production entrant basic payment scheme.  (Read 4126 times)

Builth

• Joined Dec 2014
Production entrant basic payment scheme.
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:51:59 am »
Hi,
I'm new to posting on this site but read it often for helpful advice.
I have a small hill farm in mid wales and need help or advice with claiming new 2015 basic payments.
I have never held entitlements but part of my ground has been claimed on by neighbours SAF's and they have paid me a fee.
With the new scheme I am trying to claim in my own name, I was advised by Welsh gov to submit a 2014 SAF and register my land (fm4) as farm land. I was also advised to apply for Glastir  commons, Glastir, Glastir woodland scheme & express an interest in going organic.
I so far have managed to get £250 commons payment and should get about £1100 Glastir payment next December (2015) and that's it!
I was hoping to apply as a new entrant but by trying to farm & following Gov. advice I am now not eligible as not new to farming.
I was told by 1 farm adviser I should have not bought animals and started to farm, I should have either bought entitlement or with hindsight just grass let my land.
I have now been advised to try and get production entry, which is last on the list for national reserve & only a fifth of the payment in year one increasing by a fifth until 2019 when I get what everyone else gets!

Is there anyone on here with the same problem?
Sorry for the long post / rant but not much good solid advice out there.

Builth

• Joined Dec 2014
Re: Production entrant basic payment scheme.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:25:11 am »
No one in the same boat?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »
When did you start farming in your own right?  Didn't you have to have SFP to apply for Glastir? I thought you did.

Sorry not much help.

Do you belong to NFU? .... they could have good advice.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 05:01:00 pm »
I'm taking on 50 acres in Southern England as of next week so would be interested in how this goes. I will be trying to qualify as a new entrant as I have run a small poultry thing on 2 acres for the past year but nothing major. Good luck with it, not sure I can advise as I am as confused as you.

Builth

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 04:45:11 pm »
We have been farming small scale since 2009 and have put in a SAF ( single application form) for 2 years without entitlement or payment so that we can apply for Glastir. I'm not an NFU member I have had some advice from farming connect & Welsh office staff.

From what I can gather England & Wales have different ways to claim so not sure if your poultry business will count, In wales it would and you would be in the same boat as me  :(

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:31:21 pm »
Join a farmers union - not much outlay - and they will know all the hurdles to jump.  Its almost impossible when your trying to earn a living to know the politics behind the form filling.

Builth

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »
Thank you I'll look into it.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 06:06:22 pm »
I would advise you to go to a good agent as there are lots of things in the pipeline just now I have not read about.
You do not need an agent as you can do everything on line but I thinks it will work out best.
The NFU will help you also your choice.

For example if an entrant is under a certain age there is money available for new buildings etc.

If you have never claimed before should be fine I am in the same boat but in Scotland.

PM me if you want.

Builth

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 09:23:48 am »
Thank you I'll pm you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS