Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping 2 cows together?  (Read 3579 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Keeping 2 cows together?
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:17 pm »
Due to not much grazing I'm about to buy 2 cows 4 year old heroford X dairy sisters were 'pet' cows will keeping these 2 an there calfs me ok? There calfs will be sold at 7/8 months

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Keeping 2 cows together?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:08:31 am »
Two cows will be fine - three's better, of course, because if something happens to one there's still two, but two will be fine.

When you say 'not much grazing', how much are you talking?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:57 am »
Well they will be being wintered indoors with a friend an his pure heroford indoors then mine in spring/summer/autumn be them on about 3 acres

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:25:30 pm »
3 acres isn't a lot for two cattle plus calves, will you be able to give them hay as well?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:55:45 pm »
I will be given them hay/haylage/silage & some fodder also when needed im going to sell the calves when they cows are due to calf the next calfs

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:38:23 am »
3 cows is always best as the one cow ca see more than 1 cow and thus thinks she is in a herd... difficult to explain

but two with calves is still way better than one with a calf

I would be weary with two cows plus calves on 3 acres  :thinking: even with hay can get pretty poached up even in the summer, I would devide it up, would be best to devide it all up into small paddocks, 1 acre paddocks? as three paddocks would be better than 2
and rotate to help with worm burdens, re growth and sward quality and of course prevent over grazing and poaching

Anything cross dairy is generally a long tall, heavy cow with a big appetite, even the hereford crosses, are they cross holstein or british friesian? or a different dairy cow?

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »
I have 3 Jerseys, with a few calves at foot which are weaned off at 7 months.  The 3 girls (and calves for 7 months) are winter grazed on 10 acres and in the summer they are rotated over a total of 25 acres.  I would seriously struggle with 3 acres for spring, summer and autumn.  :cow:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 06:33:11 pm »
I don't know what condition your land is but even excellent land would struggle to keep 2 cows and calves on 3 acres .... could you rent any more land? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:10:03 pm »
It will all depend on what kind of ground you have and what your grass is like as there is grass and grass and every thing that's green isn't grass.
We aim for 1tonne of live weight per ac for summer grazing but if it burns up early we cam always move onto a hay or silage field. Some one further up the hill might struggle to stock 1 ewe per ac.
Plenty round here keep a horse or two per ac all year round so you should be fine as long as you can feed them if the weather goes against you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS