Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Goat Owner: Help needed!  (Read 6029 times)

Orchard Barn

• Joined Dec 2014
New Goat Owner: Help needed!
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:27:28 am »
Hi all

We were yesterday gifted a goat which we have to collect on Saturday (long story); to add to our stress, it is pregnant and due mid January!  We have no experience of livestock and are in a slight panic! However, we are determined to embrace this and see it as a potential start to a smallholding, we genuinely are about to become Accidental Smallholders!

We live in a rural location and have a few acres of land so are in a position to do this, and our neighbours (who live the other side of a fence next to the likely paddock where the goat will live) used to keep goats and are more than happy to help and support. We also have plenty of local farmers who can help if we struggle! However, we would like to be as independent as possible.

I've started reading everything I can find on the web and have started buying what we might need. I have bought a Pig Ark which I was advised to do by a local farmer; I'm not sure that this will be big enough for the two kids when they arrive, but short term, I just need to provide quick shelter for the goat which is arriving on Saturday! I have also bought a couple of buckets so that I can carry water from the house to where the goat will live. This is as far as I've got currently.

I'm really interested in any advice people can give me, and anything they learnt or were surprised by when they first went into Goat ownership.

My two immediate problems are:

(1) I need to sort some fencing, so what size area would you recommend (the smaller the better at this point, as speed is of the essence, I can always increase it in the months to come. Also, what is the best fencing to use? I have some post and rail fencing that I can probably move, and I assume I can just put some wire mesh in between the gaps and then some barbed wire along the top?

(2) I need to know everything I need to buy over the next couple of days so that I can get it delivered ahead of Saturday?

As I say, we have plenty of people to support so worst case scenario, I can manage. However, we'd love to do it all ourselves if we can.

All help very much appreciated!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: New Goat Owner: Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:57:00 am »
As I'm sure you know, goats prefer to have goat company although it is possible to keep them alone and she will have her kids very soon. She will need feeding. Find out from her previous owners what they have been giving her and stick to it, at least for the time being. Goats, like most animals, don't take kindly to changing their diet. Bucket for food. I've found that mine poo in their food if it's too low down. You will also need hay and straw. Hay should be available at all times. What sort of flooring is there going to be in the pig arc? If you are siting it in the field, you will need something or the straw will be permanently wet. Goats hate getting wet and are prone to pneumonia, especially if they get wet. They can also get foot rot and scald.

As far as fencing is concerned, my goats' fence is post and rail and is five feet high. Goats make great escape artists, some worse than others. British Alpines are supposed to be particularly good at getting out. What breed is she? I wouldn't put barbed wire on top. It's dangerous. A lot of people have electric fencing and I'm sure someone will be along to tell you about that.

You will also need hoof shears, purple foot spray, collar and lead for when you want to move her, a brush for grooming, a muck fork although this time of year you can let the straw layer build up by keep adding to it when it looks wet and mucky.

Are you planning on milking her? If so, you will need equipment for that, but that's not so urgent. What you will need is a local vet who is experienced with goats. So many aren't because the subject doesn't seem to be covered at vet school.

A sense of humour is useful too. And, be warned, goats are addictive. And great fun.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:20:28 am »
If you do not already have one ring and apply for a county parish holding number ASAP.  They will give you one over the phone and post you confirmation.  Also contact your local animal health office for a flock/herd number.  You will also need to record the movement.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:23:37 am »
Not sure whereabouts you are in the Cotswolds but I would recommend joining our local goat club (worcester goat society) - you don't have to live in worcestershire.  I live near Evesham and very close to the cotswold borders.

Have you checked that the land the goat will be going into is poisonous tree/shrubbery free?  Make sure you know what feed she was having and don't make any sudden changes. Is she fully vaccinated? CAE checked?  Wormed?

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 10:57:13 am »
Definitely get some of the same food and if you can get a probiotic powder as that can help with the stress of moving. A pig arc won't work for kidding in as it will be too low for you to move about in but will work for shelter in the interim. Maybe get a large shed for kidding. Also find out what treats she likes as that can help to get her used to you - I buy the big bags of dried fruit from lidl for mine as they are cheap and the girls love them though they only get one bit a day. Also get a mineral supplement as goats have very high requirement for minerals. we use either Caprivite or the Dennis Brinicombe goat mineral. You will also need something in which to feed her hay as they won't eat it once it has been on the floor  ::)  Good luck and enjoy her  :thumbsup:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:11:07 am »
Hi Orchard Barn,

Where abouts in the Cotswolds are you? I am in Stroud so if you are near by I may be able to give assistance if required.

When is the goat due to give birth? I also think you will struggle with just a pig ark but its certainly better than nothing!

What bread of goat is she? We have milking goats and have used 5ft stock fencing and 6ft fencing stakes, so far they haven't escaped...... Ours have a very basic shelter (which one of the goats kidded in) in the field and a posh horsey stable that they sleep in at night.

Make sure you get as much paper work as possible with the goat including any medical history, also make sure she has ear tags and as others have mentioned make sure you do a movement form and have a folk and holding number.

Good luck  :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 12:36:29 pm »
So you were "gifted" a goat... :-\ Anyway....

I hope you are aware that a) goats are not cheap to keep anymore, b) require daily looking after in any kind of weather and c) depending on this goat's history you may become your vet's best customer...

1.) Get another goat straight away. Not only are you taking her away from her mates she is also coming to be all on her own. If this is an adult, get a youngster, a goatling preferably (18 months old). If at all possible another goat from the same herd. Most goats are NOT happy with only their own kids for company, they (like humans) prefer to have "adult" conversations once in a while...

2.) Kidding - you need a proper goatshed, where you and the goat(s) can move around, she needs her individual pen if she usually shares the space with others.

3.) Goat books - the ones in your local library will be good enough, even if they were published in the 1980 - just be aware that the veterinary side has moved on. But nothing much in feeding terms has changed.

4.) British Goat Society has a lot of info on it's website and should also have info on any local-ish goat clubs.

5.) Check her feet and if overgrown get them trimmed straight away. Utube videos available on hot to do it.

6.) If she is 6 weeks or so away from kidding she will need feeding well - build it up gradually so that she has a full ration about two weeks prior to kidding. Know all about pregnancy toxaemia (google it). Be prepared to get the vet out if kidding is problematic (or have other goatkeeper there).

7.) Think now about disbudding the kid(s) (or not), also make sure you get any boys castrated early on.   Just have a plan on what to do with the kids. Please don't keep any male kid intact, there are too many unwanted (and smelly) males already out there. Goat meat is delicious!

I am not trying to come over all critical and preachy... but hopefully you will keep goats for the foresee-able future. Pre-loved is full of "goats free to ANY good (?) home"...

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 08:56:47 pm »
I am only a new goat keeper having had my goats for 6 months (and sheep for some years longer) and would agree with much of what Anke had said.

Certainly would not want to keep a goat without company. Mine yell for each other when I take one round the corner where the foot bath is (make sure you know about foot care!) as if they will never see them and life will never be the same again!

For kidding would recommend somewhere where you can set up some light and she, and more to the point, you can stand and walk around. It needs cover from the elements for the both of you because unless you have a heart of stone you will be there for the kidding.

Try finding a vet now with some experience with goats (or at least sheep for kidding). Sounds easy I know but I am on my second practice in 6 months and am still not sure I will stay with this one - and I haven't even had a significant problem with my goats yet (but a vet who has to phone a friend to find out what to do with scald resistant to the usual spray and foot bath as it is making my goat "proper lame" does not inspire confidence). Make sure you know who you are going to call in an emergency, particularly in kidding.

I did actually get my goats from Preloved. They were very skinny with terrible feet and have taken months to get into good condition. They have cost me a small fortune and eat me out of house and home! When I look back at the photos of the day they arrived can never decide whether to cry over the state they were in or celebrate how they look now. Would never be without them and they bring me joy every day whether sitting quietly milking or chasing them out of my veg patch! Hope you love yours too.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 11:29:16 pm »
I agree with all said so far but would like to add, vaccinations if she has had any with her previous owners if not you will need to get lambivac from the vet or agricentre and follow the instructions. If done at the right time will cover the kids through her colostrum until they are due theirs.
Definitely needs a friend.
Definitely no barbed wire as if a goat attempts to jump this with a dangling udder you will be horrified at the possible result !!!
Definitely better housing for kidding and lighting of some sort for the event.
Join a goat club or the BGS and get a basic first aid kit. Lots of info on the BGS web site even if you don't want to join.
Lastly Enjoy they are fantastically clever animals  :roflanim:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:34:43 am »
And don't panic!! you will learn as you go as do we all :thumbsup:

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 08:14:52 am »
In addition to what everyone else has said, Electric Fencing is quick and easy to set up and easy to move to make fresh paddock. 3 wires is enough for my goats. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:37 am »
So you were "gifted" a goat... :-\ Anyway....

I hope you are aware that a) goats are not cheap to keep anymore, b) require daily looking after in any kind of weather and c) depending on this goat's history you may become your vet's best customer...

1.) Get another goat straight away. Not only are you taking her away from her mates she is also coming to be all on her own. If this is an adult, get a youngster, a goatling preferably (18 months old). If at all possible another goat from the same herd. Most goats are NOT happy with only their own kids for company, they (like humans) prefer to have "adult" conversations once in a while...

2.) Kidding - you need a proper goatshed, where you and the goat(s) can move around, she needs her individual pen if she usually shares the space with others.

3.) Goat books - the ones in your local library will be good enough, even if they were published in the 1980 - just be aware that the veterinary side has moved on. But nothing much in feeding terms has changed.

4.) British Goat Society has a lot of info on it's website and should also have info on any local-ish goat clubs.

5.) Check her feet and if overgrown get them trimmed straight away. Utube videos available on hot to do it.

6.) If she is 6 weeks or so away from kidding she will need feeding well - build it up gradually so that she has a full ration about two weeks prior to kidding. Know all about pregnancy toxaemia (google it). Be prepared to get the vet out if kidding is problematic (or have other goatkeeper there).

7.) Think now about disbudding the kid(s) (or not), also make sure you get any boys castrated early on.   Just have a plan on what to do with the kids. Please don't keep any male kid intact, there are too many unwanted (and smelly) males already out there. Goat meat is delicious!

I am not trying to come over all critical and preachy... but hopefully you will keep goats for the foresee-able future. Pre-loved is full of "goats free to ANY good (?) home"...
I thought buying in another, strange goat could stress her out, maybe she might be better on her own, after all you don't want her fighting with another goat, especially when she is heavily pregnant. I hope everything goes well. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:32 am »

I thought buying in another, strange goat could stress her out, maybe she might be better on her own, after all you don't want her fighting with another goat, especially when she is heavily pregnant. I hope everything goes well. :thumbsup:

It really depends on how she has been kept until now. If she is part of a group, taking one of her mates will help her greatly to not feel too stressed at her new surroundings. Also bringing in a new-to-her second goat will mean the two have to be kept in their own pens, where they can see and sniff each other, but not bully and fight. Letting them out to graze together will also need supervision. Taking them out for walks (one human per goat) will also help them becoming accustomed to each other under control. Most goats that have been part of a herd are quite quick to adapt into a new group, but you will need to keep any fighting for position and such scuffles until after kidding. Bringing in a younger goat will usually also mean that the older (and bigger one) will be top goat without too much hassle.

But in my opinion a complete newcomer to farm animals in general taking on a goat within weeks of kidding is asking for trouble.... lets hope goatkeeping friends are nearby and able to help.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 11:22:53 am »
Hi, I have kept goats for 14 yrs  :goat:  :love: We have sheep fencing with 2 plain wires across the top, works for us  :thumbsup: Defo no barb wire, hate the stuff ! Have hay baskets on their shed wall so they dont waste it.
Defo need bedding as they like their comfort. Ours have a  mobile field shelter so we keep topping up the bedding then move the shelter and pick up the hay all at once, saves mucking out and heats up keeps em warm.
You will be addicted as its been said, they are loving, sweet natured and are a pleasure to keep.
Thats my opinion and my goatie friends too  ;)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 09:34:54 pm »
I have 3 doelings, now 10 months old for sale if you are interested in company. I am only in Wiltshire so not far. Happy to sell just 2. Have you thought what you are going to do with goat and offspring? As already mentioned they are more of a commitment than sheep or cattle but are adorable and very addictive. They do love their own company and can be quite playful.

Good luck and post a photo. You may want to plan for company sooner rather than later coz moving her so close to kidding and on her own could cause her a lot of distress.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS