Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weather worry  (Read 1905 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
weather worry
« on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:46 am »
 Itend not to take too much notice of weather forecasts, but we have out on our hill several old railway carriages that we fill with small bales of hay in the summer, so that if the weather is so bad we can't get the tractor our to fill ring feeders, at least we can walk out and throw small bales out to the sheep.  This morning, about 80 of the oldest two ages of sheep, who know the score, were gathered round the hut nearest to the farm.  This does not seem like a good sign to me.

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
Re: weather worry
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:58:06 pm »
Yep, it certainly sounds as if they're expecting a change.

I find it interesting what they (some of them, at any rate) seem to remember about particular times of year. Towards the end of October there is a group that starts to come off the hill each morning and look into the field in anticipation of access to inbye grass/ tupping time. And there are a couple of ewes, who, from mid-August onwards turn and make off as fast as they can at the mere sight of me, to try and prevent me from gathering in their lambs. At other times, especially in winter, they behave perfectly normally.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: weather worry
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:58:45 pm »
I have considerable respect for sheep and their reaction to the weather.  Just read a piece in our local paper about THE winter of 1946/7 when the snow around here was so deep you could touch the telephone wires.  We already have a good store of logs, lots of dry goods and long life milk, a full hay store and enough feed for the stock to last until February.  Just to be on the safe side, you understand ....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS