Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for good grazers - feedback  (Read 2544 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Looking for good grazers - feedback
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:37:28 pm »
We have had some great pig breeds in the past including old spots but have been out of the farming game for a number of years.  As part of our low input, high profits system based on Joel Salatin at Polyface farm we are looking for grazing pigs which looks like the darker pigs.  Looking at feedback from owners who have grass grazing pigs with electric fencing. The pork is very important and wonder if there is much difference in breed with the pork.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Looking for good grazers - feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:52:22 pm »
do you mean kunes?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:49:45 am »
We've had Tamworths, Hampshires and Kunes - all of them root. Kunes less than the others but they still root.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:11:24 am »
Large Blacks are supposedly grazers but my paddock says differently! Never had one which didn't dig. I think a lot of it depends on your ground. We are clay so nice a soft for digging up treasures  ::)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 09:31:10 am »
They graze if you moved them to new ground every day, as he does with cattle, but I think the instinct to root would take over if they stayed on the same ground.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »
No personal experience, but friends with Middle Whites say they root less?
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »
All pigs will Rio even those considered as " grazers" if they don't have enough grazing !!!

Sasha

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 02:41:28 pm »
I've got a couple of Middle Whites and they graze rather than root.  The young Gloucester Old Spots I have also graze.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:48:13 pm »
If you don't want pigs too root out them on concrete but that's not what I'm about....I belive it's not just the breeds but were the breeds are from & how there parents grandparents etc etc were raised. I have a large white sow who will dig to Australia if you let her then another large white sow who will only dig if starving....I belive her parents were mainly indoor so she isn't as well educated to living outdoors as the other who's parents were all outdoor reared

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:52:21 pm »
my gos up-earthed and turned over a whole acre very quickly even though there was plenty of grass. shes was worse than my tamworths by far.
 :roflanim:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 08:02:09 am »
We've found that pigs will root over ground that hasn't been rooted before very quickly but that they aren't in such a hurry to dig when they're put back onto ground where they've been before and it's regrown. Maybe they've had all of what they were after first time round. However over a period of time they will dig it up again and will also make a lot of mess just by walking about in the same areas when it's wet. If you don't want your fields turning over don't get pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS