Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging rules  (Read 4227 times)

HappyHippy

Tagging rules
« on: November 28, 2014, 05:00:05 pm »
I've been speaking to another pig keeper who says a pig needs a tag applied from each holding it's been on, I know this isn't the case and they only need a tag if going to market/collection centre but can't actually find a link to anything online to show them.
Anyone know where I'll find it please?
TIA Karen x

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Tagging rules
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:37 pm »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:09:51 am »
HH,

A pig must be tagged each time it moves from one holding to another, unless it is under 1 yr of age when it can move on a temporary mark, except to slaughter or market or show.  It is also illegal to remove a tag that has been applied.

So your friend is right, and for you in Scotland (the rules are similar in England)

comes under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) (Scotland) Order 2011

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2011/327/contents/made

and in particular Article 7

(1)  No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—

(a) an eartag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark which identifies the holding from which it is being moved;

(b) a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”); or

(c) a slapmark showing a unique individual identifier being—

(i) the herdmark which identifies the holding of departure; or

(ii) an alpha numeric identifier allocated to the keeper by one of the marketing or processing groups(1).

Article 8 give the under 1 yr...

8.  (1)  Article 7 does not apply to a pig less than 12 months old provided that it is identified with a temporary mark that—

(a) either by itself or by reference to a document accompanying the pig during the movement, enables the holding from which the pig was last moved to be identified; and

(b) lasts until the pig reaches its destination.

(2) The exception in paragraph (1) does not apply in relation to a pig being moved—

(a) to a market;
(b)to a slaughterhouse;
(c)for the purposes of intra-European Union trade or export; or
(d)in accordance with article 10.

Article 10 refers to shows
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:14:09 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:59:12 pm »
Really Oaklands?
 :thinking:  :thinking: :thinking:
So every gilt or sow that comes to me for service should have one of my tags applied to it before it moves back to it's owner a couple of months later?
And if I bought a registered pig from you, had a couple of litters from it and sold it on to someone else, I'd need to put my tag on it too before it went to it's next owner? Supposing that person wanted to show it, how would you show it with more than one tag?
Kx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 05:18:52 pm »
That cannae be right surely. And why only pigs? Doesn't apply to sheep or cattle.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:08:30 pm »
Don't shoot the messenger :-)

These rules are made up by guys sitting in Brussles who have never seen a pig, nor have any idea how the real world works.  These rules they make up are referred to Defra ministers who have no time to look at detail and who are advised by civil servants with double firsts from Cambridge who again know nothing about pigs, and lobbied by only the powerful lobbies such as the NFU who represent the big indoor pig herds who move in pig pyramids and have little or no multiple moves.  The BPA is only a pedigree registration body, who thought that electronic movement with rules that go beyond EU legislation (such as pre-notification) were fine and a system that collects information contrary to the Data Protection Act is also quite ok !

It is hardly surprising therefore that the rules make no sense !!

So :
So every gilt or sow that comes to me for service should have one of my tags applied to it before it moves back to it's owner a couple of months later?

Breeding is similar to shows, apologies that I didn't fully quote article 10, I would say in my defence that you didn't mention breeding !

Article 10 says

10.  No person may move a pig off a holding—

(a) to a show or exhibition;
(b)with a walking licence;
(c)for breeding purposes with the intention of returning the pig to the holding from which it was moved; or
(d)for the purposes of collection of semen at a porcine semen centre,
unless it is marked in accordance with article 7 and with a unique individual identification number.

so every sow coming to you should have a tag with an individual ID number as well as herd no. then it doesn't need to be tagged on return.

And if I bought a registered pig from you, had a couple of litters from it and sold it on to someone else, I'd need to put my tag on it too before it went to it's next owner?

Yep, that the way it works - totally stupid, and a pig over a year sold 5 times would in theory have 5 tags.  Of course if tags 'fall out' then they don't need to be replaced.  So if the tag that was on your pig when it arrived 'falls out' then you can use this hole to put in a new tag when it next moves (of course if it doesn't move you don't need to replace it!).  You cannot legally remove it (article 16 says '16.  No person may, unless authorised by the Scottish Ministers, remove or deface an eartag or tattoo applied under this Order. ') But if it 'accidentally' comes out, then no multiple tags.

Of course if you sell a pig a year old to Fred, who them sells it to George, who then takes to down the abattoir, it'll have 3 sets of ID, which will make it really easy for the abattoir to know what's going on !!!!!  Doesn't happen to commercial pigs, so no-one thought it to be a problem !

Supposing that person wanted to show it, how would you show it with more than one tag?

Yep, in theory it would have multiple tags !

That cannae be right surely.

Yep it is !

And why only pigs? Doesn't apply to sheep or cattle

Different EU teams look after pigs,  cattle and sheep ID - hence we have three entirely different sets of rules, and 3 entirely different movement mechanisms.

You gotta love the EU !!!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 06:46:31 pm »
I've always dreamed of declaring a National Pig Walking Day and getting every pig owner in the country to (a) apply for a licence to do so and (b) actually walk their pig.  Can you imagine ....!

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 12:12:14 am »
Hahaha, I'll bring a pig on a walk if you do!
Oh well, I stand corrected Oaklands.......wouldn't be like the legislation to be completely unworkable  :-J

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:50:11 am »
have the Scottish rules changed in the last few years then? as we used to move pigs under their individual ear tag numbers. ours were tattoed or tagged and pedigree pigs.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 09:57:32 am »
Hahaha, I'll bring a pig on a walk if you do!
Oh well, I stand corrected Oaklands.......wouldn't be like the legislation to be completely unworkable  :-J

I'd get a pig for the day, just for the pleasure of walking it  ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 01:14:54 pm »
have the Scottish rules changed in the last few years then? as we used to move pigs under their individual ear tag numbers. ours were tattoed or tagged and pedigree pigs.

Rules changed in 2011
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS