Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What am I?  (Read 1899 times)

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
What am I?
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »
I have this really unusual chicken that is supposed to be a cream crested legbar but looks nothing like the others!! It's about 12 weeks old now and as far as I can remember was hatched from a white egg. It has black/blueish legs, black feathers with a bit of brown, black eyes and a tuft on its head. I can't see any comb. Any ideas as to what it is please? I would put on a photo but I don't know how to!!!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: What am I?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 03:58:51 pm »
Legbar cross?

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 05:27:18 pm »
It could be crossed with a crow!! Ha ha!!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:24:24 am »
Perhaps an Araucana Lindaball. The crest comes from them. But the eggs should still be blue?

The (Crested) Cream Legbar was basically derived from the Brown Leghorn which lays white eggs. It was designed to be autosexing, so the sex of the chicks can be seen at hatching from their colouring.

So it could be some sort of genetic throwback?

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:31:33 am »
All CLB will lay blue/green eggs. The egg colour it came from tells you it not from a CLB
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 01:49:48 pm »
You have reminded me of the one and only visit we made to the Penkridge poultry market Funkyfish. They had a hatching egg auction first and one of the lots was a dozen Cream Legbar eggs -they were all white, so needless to say we didn't bid on them!

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »
The eggs I ordered in where blue/greenish but this one was kind of white with a hint of a blue tinge!! It will be most interesting to see what colour eggs she lays!! Thanks for your thoughts folks!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »
I have some very good CLB and one of them does fade in colour over the season to almost white. Then they stop for moult and come back blue again. So it can happen but it's probably not a desirable egg to hatch if you want a good blue layer. I'm sure she'll be a fine hen though and lay eggs of some colour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS