Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Everlasting Foot Rot...  (Read 9465 times)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Everlasting Foot Rot...
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave:

We added some herdwicks to our collection late this summer. We went to look, then they were delivered in two separate batches.When the second batch came off the wagon I noticed immediately two that were limping. Put them into the barn before they reached the field and on inspection both had foot rot in one front hoof each. Caught the rest of the herd and all appeared fine, although ran them through the footbath etc just in case.

Put lime down on the barn floor and began treating with tetramycin immediately. Both needed some hoof trimming away that had curled underneath. One of the girls is now completely better and back in the field. However, the other doesn't seem to be progressing, still limping & very smelly foot. Been treating with alamycin for three weeks and seen no improvement. Also including 5 minute salty foot soaks twice a day in the routine. Still using the tetramycin (been using for 7-8 weeks now).

What should my next step be? Not sure whether to ask the vet for some anti-inflammatory? Not too sure if she's becoming resistant to the tetramycin and alamycin? What's expected recovery time for a bad case of foot rot?

Good news is that the hoof isn't looking deformed as yet, but really loosing hope with her, not to mention she's becoming an expensive sheep to keep!

Hope someone can advise, my sheep knowledge isn't great!  :fc:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Everlasting Foot Rot...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:27:07 pm »
Is it definitely foot rot and not CODD?  Have you asked your vet for their advice?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
Take her to the vets in a trailer to get a positive diagnosis (codd, septic pedal arthritis etc etc) and assuming it is FR get a jab of micotil given - no call out fee incurred

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 01:30:00 pm »
Is it definitely foot rot and not CODD?  Have you asked your vet for their advice?

Vet did say it was foot rot but not very convinced anymore as nothing seems to be working :(
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 01:31:32 pm »
Take her to the vets in a trailer to get a positive diagnosis (codd, septic pedal arthritis etc etc) and assuming it is FR get a jab of micotil given - no call out fee incurred

What is micotil used to treat exactly? Sorry just intrigued to learn up on sheep medicine cabinets!

I'll put a photo on here later and see if people agree that it is footrot.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:38 pm »
I once had a sheep similar,
I knew I was going to get it shot as bad feet = no keep but I wanted to see if I could fix it so it could go as a cull :)

It was on alamycin LA plus Pen and Strep wich didnt work, I took the foot and put a cotton wad underneath it after drying it off, then wrapped gorrila tape around the leg and down around the foot and then underneath the foot to keep it dry

After a week I took the tape off and it recovered and could walk fine, so as it was walking on 4 feet then I could send it as a cull to the abattoir  :thumbsup: rather than paying for someone to shoot it

I would cull its asap but in the mean time if you wanted to try and get it walking on all four feet so it can be sent off rather than loosing money by getting it shot 

Did you leave enough horn for it to walk on ok? I personally wouldnt trim one with footrot as it can let even more bacteria in the foot

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 01:52:56 pm »
I once had a sheep similar,
I knew I was going to get it shot as bad feet = no keep but I wanted to see if I could fix it so it could go as a cull :)

It was on alamycin LA plus Pen and Strep wich didnt work, I took the foot and put a cotton wad underneath it after drying it off, then wrapped gorrila tape around the leg and down around the foot and then underneath the foot to keep it dry

After a week I took the tape off and it recovered and could walk fine, so as it was walking on 4 feet then I could send it as a cull to the abattoir  :thumbsup: rather than paying for someone to shoot it

I would cull its asap but in the mean time if you wanted to try and get it walking on all four feet so it can be sent off rather than loosing money by getting it shot 

Did you leave enough horn for it to walk on ok? I personally wouldnt trim one with footrot as it can let even more bacteria in the foot

Hi Ladygrey - thanks for the reply, my sheep knowledge is a bit wooly!

I am thinking down the same lines of just getting her to a stage where she can go to the abattoir rather than be wasted. However, we never intended to eat the herdwicks so I'd rather she recovered if possible, and could be back outside :)

I did initially wash the foot, coat in tetramycin and wrap in bandage to try and alleviate her standing on any sore parts but it seemed to do little other than let the foot get 'sweaty'.

I was reluctant to trim it, but got persuaded by my mother in law who kept goats 15 years ago- obviously this way of thinking is outdated now. However, there was a large chunk of the hoof which was hanging on by a thread and getting trapped under the foot and in turn collecting plenty of sheep muck. It's now regrowing, despite the state of her foot.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 02:20:52 pm »
Micotil is a vet-administer-only antibiotic which is extremely effective against footrot.  My vet tells me the reason it's vet-administer-only is that it is extremely toxic, as in can be fatal, to humans.

So if she wasn't intented as mutton, I'd give it a go. It's 42-day withdrawal, btw.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 02:35:24 pm »
Another vote for Mycotil.

I have also used the Alamycin route to get a ewe well enough to go to the cull market before...

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 10:49:12 pm »
Footvax can help too. Although its a vaccine its licensed for treatment as well as prevention.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 01:42:55 am »
Personally anything that was that bad I wouldn't breed from get her sorted & in the freezer

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 07:53:11 am »
She could have scald and a deep rooted infection. Why not try herbal remedies? According to my herbal book she says..... Purge the animal then build up with good foods such as oats, wheat, given crushed and mixed with mollaases and pulped carrots. This last food is a very valuable tonic for sheep. Be careful not to feed too much oats or wheat though. Give plenty of kale, rich in healing sulphur. For external dressing of the feet eh out all the dirt from the clefts, cutting away sufficient horn to allow the inner sensetive parts of the foot to be reached. For dressing use pinewood tar or stoclkholm tar mixed with powdered barley and mollasses, which should be rubbed well into the feet and lower area of the legs. Or equal parts of Stockholm tar and castor oil make a good salve. To effect a speedy cure the sheep should be folded on to clean dry straw, straw covered yard. Afterwards they must be pastured on dry ground. An effective treatment used by welsh farmers is tar and salt. Two or four ounces of salt to every half pound of tar. It must be remembered that the natural home of sheep is on stony hillsides, where vegetation is sparse. The. The exercise over hard ground and the leaness of body due to low diet, all keep the feet firm and in good condition. Damp, lowland pastures and rich feeding cause foot rot.
I hope this helps, just a little info and I hope she gets better soon. The word of warning about the grains was from me because sheep can get bloated easily, I hope she gets better. Also when feeding them carrots remove all stringy bits from the carrot, as these can cause the animal to choke.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:49:50 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 11:58:38 am »
Personally anything that was that bad I wouldn't breed from get her sorted & in the freezer

I agree.  If her foot is now dry and hard she should be able to bear weight after all this time.  If she can't then there's something very wrong.  We culled and culled some more for poor feet, and that's since eliminating footrot through vaccination in 2007.  We had to say goodbye to some otherwise excellent animals but I feel that the overall health of the whole flock has benefitted, although we have to watch their condition since their intake is no longer limited by finding grazing uncomfortable because of bad feet!

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 04:28:01 pm »
Sounds to me the foot rot could have passed and the foot is now sore from having no hoof to walk on.

The local vets held a foot rot talk this week and the main thing they were trying to tell us as sheep owners was to not trim, spray engemycin and inject alamycin but no trimming.
The small bit of hoof that remains no matter how dangly it was helps to protect the hoof from bruising and will naturally wear/fall off after the foot rot/scald etc has been cured.

There is some literature on the eblex website which talks about the five point plan which is very helpful to identify different problems in sheeps feet, how to treat for the various cases and to protect against future problems.

Dry indoor conditions will hopefully speed up the recovery  :raining: and the regrowth of hoof.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:06:09 am »
Hi all  :)

Thanks so much for all the advice. Unfortunately my other half dug through the electric to our outbuildings this weekend so I haven't managed to get a photo in good light. Fingers crossed it'll be repaired for tonight  :fc:

I had the vet out this weekend for various bits and bobs and he's now given me some Tylenol 600 - is this the same as the mytocil? Was a new vet and I'm not sure he was completely 'in the know' as he said he usually deals with cattle.

Anyhow, she's had a jab on the tylenol - (and so did I when she started bouncing around  :() so hopefully I should see an improvement soon? I've soaked her foot in salt water twice a day since I started the thread but not 'poked around' to see how its doing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS