Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shafts and heddles  (Read 3715 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Shafts and heddles
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:51:59 pm »
I have a weavemaster 4 shaft , 36" table loom , but there are no shafts or heddles with it .
I have some plans  on how to make a 4 shaft loom , and that states that the top of the shafts should be made from 20mm x 6mm wood and the bottom should be the same dimensions in metal , does that sound about right ?
Next it says to make 400 string heddles 26cm long  , 100 for each 40cm long shaft .
The castle is the same height but on my loom the shafts are about 90cm long , how many heddles should i make ?
 Using the same number per 10cm as in the plan , mine would need 225 per shaft .
Next question , how much is heddle string ? , thats getting on for 2000 feet of string !
Hope that lot makes sense , toys eh ?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Shafts and heddles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:36:58 am »
The shafts on my loom are metal and the top and bottom are the same thickness. They wouldn't slide up and down the runners with wood at the top. I'd check your runners and try to judge from that.

Working on weaving at the rate of ten ends per inch and using the full width of the shaft, you would need 360 heddles so even more than you calculated.

Not sure about the string to use as I've never made string heddles. I should find out though as my current loom has string heddles which are going to need replacing at some point. I did google it for you and one suggestion for the sort of heddles for a back strap loom is warping cotton. Texere yarns sell a strong one that is £10.50 for 200m.

Someone might have a better idea than me.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:21 am »
Thanks Lesley . The phone i am using won't load many sites , the better one is on charge .
 I did think 10 to the inch , as that is the number of dents per inch recommended for the reed to get in the plan . The reed i have has 15 , although is rusty .   Ooooh , £10.50 . That means £30 for the heddles alone . I wonder if fishing line would work ?
The runners on mine are about 8mm , so 6mm would be loose enough . No problem making top and bottom of the shafts in metal for the weight .
Thanks again mate .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:23:43 am »
I think fishing line is definitely worth a try. Its very tough
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:59 pm »
I have found some kite flying line . Not as fiddley as fishing line but still very strong , will give it a go , although there is only 150m .

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:06:37 pm »
I managed to make 30 heddles earlier , god what a fiddle .
Got the hang of it in the end , my fingers eventually did what i wanted them to do .
Only  another 1400 to go !

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:58:33 pm »
How much of the kite line did the 30 heddles take?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »
Each one takes 2 feet of line , so 60 ft .
Tying the knots and keeping it all taut was tough at first but ok after a few .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS