Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small litter size  (Read 2854 times)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
Small litter size
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:49:06 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave:  not been on here for a while but have a nagging question to get off my chest. I'm sure there isn't one answer involved but here goes...My sow Flo farrowed this morning but only had 5 piglets , 4 which survived. Previously she had 9 piglets ( first time), then 10 piglets. So I am wondering why litter size went down so much. She was in good condition at mating and stayed that way up to now. She'd had about 7 weeks from weaning to mating. Was this too soon? After her first litter she'd had 9 months off between weaning and mating. The boar is kept busy but not too busy, gets mated probably every 8 weeks or a bit more and is only with 1 or 2 females. Both are vaccinated regularly for erysipelis. Is it "just one of those things" or is there something I can sort out? Hmmmm......

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
Re: Small litter size
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »
Usually one of those things. One sow I have had 11 the first time and four the second,I admit she was a bit on the plump side the second time but the piglets grew quickly not having to compete for their milk!!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:51:28 pm »
Unless a sow's in poor condition at weaning time we usually get her back to the boar straight away. I think the longer you leave them empty the more chance there is of either a small litter or not getting in pig at all. Being overweight is also a cause of problems. We use the condition scoring system and try to keep a score of 3 on the go all the time. Sometimes it is difficult to feed a milking sow enough but we've found resting for just one cycle after weaning is long enough to put the weight back on if you look after them.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »
Can be any number of things sometimes if they get stress mental phsyical or heat can cause them to ingest some of their litterhence smaller numbers
Also if you get mummified piglets or non formed foetus when she farrowed it could have been a minor infection or parvo
Unless your desparate for huge litters i wouldnt worry unduly theyll be monsters with all that milk and teats to go T.
Hth mandy :pig:

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:27:25 am »
No mummified piglets or anything odd. I'm not really wanting large litters, a few more would have been nice but 4  is certainly going to be a lot more manageable given the mud bath we already have in the pig paddocks. ????

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:39:55 pm »

Gorgeous arent they?!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:17:25 pm by Button End Beasts »

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 01:29:37 am »
 :love: :love: :pig: :pig: :love: :love:

They're precious!

I hope pigs get uglier as they get older or how am I ever going to manage to kill, butcher and eat ours when we get our small holding!?!
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:52 am »
 :love:  :pig: very cute.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:46:56 am »
is flushing prior to mating worth considering?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 09:59:47 am »
I hope pigs get uglier as they get older or how am I ever going to manage to kill, butcher and eat ours when we get our small holding!?!

Don't worry, they'll turn into anoying teenagers and try to eat your boots - not so cute!  Word of advice - the only name we give to pigs destined for the freezer is "Porky".

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »
Word of advice - the only name we give to pigs destined for the freezer is "Porky".

No worries there. My current mantra is 'Don't name the pigs'. In fact that will be the name of my smallholding blog - if I ever get round to it!
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS