Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is going on?  (Read 2206 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
What is going on?
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:38:08 pm »
I am now totally confused. My girly went off to stay with the billy and was mated on 1st and 2nd November. On Monday 24th she was off her food and Tuesday 25th there was some discharge so I presumed she had come back into season - albeit with a long cycle. Today (the 27th) she is now tail wagging though there is no more obvious discharge but is behaving more like I would expect from a season. When do I count it as her being in season and how on earth do I work out when she is likely to come back in again  ??? . I need to have a fairly firm idea as OH works away and I don't drive with the trailer.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »
Last year one of mine came into season and was put to the male then she came into season again a week later I put her back in with my male and held, come kidding time she kidded 152 days counting from the second season. Don't know if that helps just what I've experienced. If you can get her to the same male I would do that, but if you have to possibly go to different male I would wait for the next season in 3 weeks or do that anyway as you never know she may still hold. Good luck
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:59:39 pm by Talana »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »
Are you trying to get her mated again in three weeks time? If yes, I would play it safe and sponge her to come into season just a few days after her three weeks - if you count today as day 0, then insert sponge on day 9, change over to 2nd sponge on day 16, remove sponge on day 23. She should then be in season two days later.

If you were to take her to get mated, she could probably travel in the back of a 4x4.... although ahemmm, that is probably not entirely legal. But at this time of year you shouldn't have too many problems with ventilation/over-heating.

Is this Amanda playing up? She could also just have re-absorbed the foetus, sometime in the first three weeks, hence coming back at irregular interval?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:26 pm »
Yes it is Amanda. The main thing I wasn't sure of was if her season this time was Tuesday with the discharge or today with the tail wagging.

Can I get the sponges from my vet or do I need to get them someplace special?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:35:25 pm »
Vet should have them and they should sell you just a couple.

I would take the tail-wagging as her season rather than just the discharge/off her food.

You could also ask the vet what s/he would suggest doing.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »
Is the sponging for the goats the same as for sheep as my vets are not good on goats. I spoke to them and they said one sponge in for 14 days then an injection when it comes out and season 36 - 48 hours later. Does that sound right?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »
No better for goats TWO sponges, change for a fresh one at day 7, no injection needed at this time of year. The PMSG is only used for AI or when breeding outwith the normal breeding season. After sponge is removed on day 14 they should be in season within 24 - 36 hours, but a billy rag is helpful at this stage too if you have a quiet one - but Mandy was NEVER quiet... mating on day 2 or 3 afterwards. AI is normally done at 56 hours after sponges came out/injection went in.

I have used this system with my goats regularly when I need to get two done at the same time away from home.

:fc:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »
a billy rag is helpful at this stage too if you have a quiet one - but Mandy was NEVER quiet...

Apparently she was very difficult to spot her season when she was there but she was shouting all day everyday as she was missing mum and her pals  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 05:00:34 pm »
a billy rag is helpful at this stage too if you have a quiet one - but Mandy was NEVER quiet...

Apparently she was very difficult to spot her season when she was there but she was shouting all day everyday as she was missing mum and her pals  ::)

Aaaahhhh.... she was always quite vocal that lady... her daughters are the same, her mum Skyee however is VERY quiet. So I blame the Lochinvar on the paternal side for this.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS