Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallhold Livestock Haulage  (Read 5477 times)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Smallhold Livestock Haulage
« on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:59 pm »
Hello one and all

Just a bit of market research really...

Am thinking of starting up a business/service to offer livestock haulage specifically aimed at smallholders who wish to transport small.numbers of animals or an individual animal.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this? Is it the kind of thing youd use? Have there been times when you've looked for such a service?

Many thanks, diolch yn fawr

Ben

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Smallhold Livestock Haulage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:37:39 pm »
we have used and will use again. we have a cattle haulier nearby who is very reasonable. having someone who could take pigs to slaughter for me would be great.
go for it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
I think smallholders with livestock too big for the boot of the estate car really do need their own transport, a small P6e is not that expensive, can be towed by a normal family car and will mean you can get your livestock to auction and in emergency cases to the vet. It takes up to 8 sheep, quite a few goats and two 10months old pigs easily. Most smallholders will not need to transport much more at any given time. Any larger group (of sheep) I can organise a haulier through the local mart that will pick up from the farm for example

I doubt that you will have enough custom to make it worthwhile, you will need to pass a few exams on the way, get insurance cover. Speak to the likes of Gordon George of Ardross Animal Transport to get an idea if it's a likely goer.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but think you may just not get enough custom.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »
I think its a great idea, would you haulier livestock for farmers too? You could set up the business to accommodate farmers and smallholders, it could be profitable.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 05:39:37 pm »
It's got to be worth a go. Just need to do some networking to get the word round. Our local farmer will take and collect stock from market, abattoir etc for about £90 a trip. Not sure if that makes him anything or just lays his way for a nice day out!

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:22:11 pm »
I doubt that you will have enough custom to make it worthwhile, you will need to pass a few exams on the way, get insurance cover. [snip]I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but think you may just not get enough custom.

I agree about the exams, insurance specifically for the purpose (including transporting someone else's animals for business purposes and for commercial reward) and IIRC there's a slot a need to register.  You may also need a tacho in your vehicle.

Good luck if you do it, but I'm a little cautious too about whether you'd get enough business.  A small trailer for smallholders is a neccessity IMHO, and if you can't run a larger one it's not usually too hard to wave money at someone who has (or swap skills/favours etc).

https://www.gov.uk/farm-animal-welfare-during-transportation is authorative but obviously covers everything right up to LGVs.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 10:26:03 am »
Hi,

Gordon at Ardross Animal Transport is excellent - I have used him to collect a herd of goats from welsh border and take them up to me in Yorkshire. He also took three angora kids of mine from Yorkshire up to Aberdeenshire this autumn for someone too.  He is based in the south so having someone offering a similar service in the midlands / north is a great idea.  You obviously need the correct certificates and insurance so it would be worth talking to your local animal health. However, I am sure these wouldn't be too onerous.

Good luck!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:28:56 am »
I think you'd have to charge too much for it to be attractive to your potential customers. And has been said before not many people with livestock haven't got a trailer of their own.

pitiliedon

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 09:58:44 am »
sorry late to this post; I,m in the central highlands and think someone prepared to haul individuals or small numbers would have potential. I know in a previous incarnation I eventually gave up with rare breed pigs because of the dearth of good stock in the north and the costs involved heading south for one  boar or in pig gilt. I would use such a haulier as long as it didn't cost significantly more than my fuel /time ect to haul a trailer down myself.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 10:28:21 am »
We would be very grateful for such a service a couple of times a year but as others have said not sure there'd be sufficient volume to make a business of it

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:45:30 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate & great to be part of such an active forum.

The haulage plan would not be intended to be my be all and end all source of income. Just a service that i think could be useful (and clearly some agree) to others so long as costings were sensible enough.

I'd like to think one of the major attractions a micro haulage company could offer would be from the welfare side too. Taking a more patient approach to loading/unloading.

Again thanks for feedback. Watch this space 2015....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS