Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still laying!  (Read 3137 times)

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
Still laying!
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:58:47 am »
Hi folks. Has anyone out there got any hens that are still laying? I've got 3 RIR and 2 marans hens in their first years' lay and I'm still getting 2-3 eggs a day. I would have expected them to stop by now (not that I'm complaining!!) I'm not using artificial light or anything. When would one expect the girls to stop for the winter? Cheers-Linda

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Still laying!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:02:24 am »
My 29 young hens are laying about 25 a day and the older 40 are laying about 20. We don't light them so I'm pretty amazed. And delighted  :thumbsup:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:42:09 am »
mine are doing well also, plus my young pullets have started laying. I know its daylight driven but weather plays a part IMO and the weather hasn't been too bad as yet.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:02:25 am »
My pullets haven't come into lay yet :-\ not had an egg out of my girls in months lol

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:28:50 am »
Yep, still laying as are our ducks! Our guys are all completely free range.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:52 am »

Ours would be fox food  :(

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:51:58 am »
Yea I regularly have hens laying eggs over the winter, however this winter they have stopped, they moulted and then they have now stopped laying, even though am giving them layers pellets. The other hens I have will probably start to lay next year, because I bought them as young hens this year.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:54:01 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 11:43:36 am »

The chickens put them selves to bed in a barn with a big perch, usually see them in the yard around 7am, I do shut the ducks away at night though, lost one as she had started going down to the river and sleeping out! Plenty of wildlife consumed in our woods - heron, birds, bits of lambs a few months ago, I don't think they need to come to us for a meal/killing spree! We've 5 dogs running about so I think they stay away for various reasons,so far anyway!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »

The chickens put them selves to bed in a barn with a big perch, usually see them in the yard around 7am, I do shut the ducks away at night though, lost one as she had started going down to the river and sleeping out! Plenty of wildlife consumed in our woods - heron, birds, bits of lambs a few months ago, I don't think they need to come to us for a meal/killing spree! We've 5 dogs running about so I think they stay away for various reasons,so far anyway!
dogs can be a problem too, I remember not so long ago one of my dogs started trying and succeeding biting the chickens, I got so angry that I sold him. I don't really have problems with foxes, even still I do put the chickens in their house before it goes dark and wait until an hour after it goes light to let them out, because you don't know were foxes could be lurking.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »
Ours are more likely to get trampled by deer!

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »
Mine are let out at first light and free range all day. They put themselves to bed and I shut them up as soon as they are in. I'm paranoid about foxes but, touch wood, no problems as yet! My husband has 3 ferrets (in secure runs!!) and we have 3 large dogs running about so presumably this is something of a deterrent.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 06:12:31 pm »
I have the same regime and am getting one egg a day from a youngster and no duck eggs at all.  Foxes abound here, and I lost all my lovely tame birds,  so i'm not taking that chance again!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 11:26:10 pm »
All of the older hens have now stopped for moult/winter. The last Araucana who came into lay before Christmas last year has just stopped within the last week so she did brilliantly (and is now very moulty!). Mind you the buff Orps stopped in about July time. Grrr. Some of the first of the year's hatch started and stopped again (still battling red mite in their house so that might have an impact), now the Easter hatch has just started and I don't think the early July hatch will start until January time.

Oh, and one duck is still going.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 10:23:42 am »
i have 12 hens and i am getting 2 eggs a day keeps them ticking away
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »
Mine have all but stopped but then most are the same age so they are all moulting together. At least my LS have started up again. Nothing at all from the welsummers but I think they just give up over winter which is fine by me as it means they lay their best eggs in the breeding season when everything is clean and dry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS