Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yesterday's harvest  (Read 2566 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Yesterday's harvest
« on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:50 am »

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Yesterday's harvest
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:11:07 am »
WOW

That's impressive,

What's on the menu?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:46:44 am »
Whatever do you feed your triffids on down in Telford?   What variety are they?   I'm lucky if I get half a dozen here  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:17:39 pm »
is that the carnival or celebration one? says you can eat them raw and will store for 6 months - you might need to!

Good crop - did you only plant one or have you got another 38 hidden somewhere.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 01:18:51 am »
They are Buffy Ball. I was given the one plant by Beeducked and I think they did better than hers.  :innocent:

According to the Thompson and Morgan catalogue, they are "Perfect for individual portions of delicious baked squash! Cute little tennis-ball sized fruits with attractive creamy yellow skins will make a lovely focal point on your dinner plate. Enjoy heavy crops of Squash ‘Buffy Ball’ from August to October. This prolific winter squash can produce over 25 fruits per plant which store well over a particularly long period. Height: 35cm (14"). Spread: 200cm (79")."
[/size]
[/size]These are much bigger than tennis balls. One squash will do two people although you might want a whole one if it was stuffed as the main part of a meal. Good flavour, more delicate than a butternut. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, spray the cut side with oil and roast in a hot oven for about half an hour. :yum: :yum: :yum:

It grew in a raised bed about two foot six deep that was filled last year with part rotted goat manure. Good stuff that manure. There were seven other plants of different varieties in that same bed but they all got swamped by the BB. I only had five non-BB squashes in total. The triffid climbed the apple tree, the honeysuckle, another shrub and half way across to the next raised bed. It would have covered the path as well if I hadn't pinched the ends out of two of its branches.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »
Yes!

Yours have definitely done better than mine! Got quite a lot of mine to be fair but not that many. I didn't have a good year with my squash this year but they did much better than all the others.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:34:23 pm »
You obviously gave me the best plant.  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS