Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: itchy sheep  (Read 4619 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
itchy sheep
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »
A few of my ewes appear to be rubbing on hurdles etc. Is this likely to be lice? The haven't had any contact with other sheep since the arrival of my tup, cannot touch any other sheep at present and ground has been free of sheep for several years.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: itchy sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »
If it's more than one or two, then it's not likely to be nothing.

Can you have a good look at the base of the wool fibres?  On the moorland farm we had problems with keds one year in one batch, and sucking lice another.  You have to identify the beastie so you get the treatment right - or you can treat with Crovect if you have it on hand, and if that doesn't clear it up, use Dectomax.

I expect the S word has gone through your mind... fresh skin scrape to the vet (or they may ask you to take it straight to the vet labs) to eliminate that possibility.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:25:40 pm »
I am bringing them in on Thursday so will have a good look then. The dreaded s word has gone my mind. No crovect on hand but I may get myself some. Neighboring farmers think I'm paranoid and pay too much attention!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:39:35 pm »
Just to maybe rest your mind a little,

when my sheep have been a long time in an electric fence field with no solid anything in, when I put hurdles in to gather them up I always have one or two come over for a good bum rub on the pen

I think ts just because they havnt had anything to touch for a while

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:51:23 pm »
There are more thorny hedges in the big field now, I wonder if it is maybe that. Rather be safe than sorry

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 12:02:02 pm »
What breed are they?  Our GFD are always rubbing against posts, feeders, trees ::) - apparently they are just itchy sheep.  Rarely see the Shetlands doing it and they are all together.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:12:36 pm »
Suffolk crosses

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS