Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hybrid laying  (Read 3438 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Hybrid laying
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:13:52 pm »
I've pretty much decided that I need some hybrids hatched early next year as our egg business has grown and while there is little money in it, my neighbours seem to value the eggs so I want to be able to provide some. My current hens are mostly pure breeds so are now in winter mode.

So, I want to hatch some hybrids, probably 20-30 in Feb 2015 and hope for eggs through winter 2015. I know the favorite is the RIR/LS type cross but I can't do that this year. I could possibly engineer a LS / RIR cross instead which apparently comes out white but is still a good layer.

I could also pen up a Leghorn Cockerel with some Speckldeys. What is that going to turn out like? Anyone think that would be a good laying combo?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Hybrid laying
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »
I hatched out some Maran x hybrid (Columbian black tails) which have turned out to be nice pullets- not started laying yet but they came out white and look like nice hens for next year.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:21 pm »
why not hatch out your pure breeds so they come into lay now? All my pure bred pullets have come into lay in the last  week. Also, Minorcas are great layers, mine are still laying -they are coming into their second winter.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:52:15 am »
Yeah, I thought about trying to hatch some LS or RIR pure as early as possible in the hope that they come into lay well before next winter. Might go for RIR if I could find a decent cockerel locally.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 10:58:00 am »
if you won't to garante layers get some eggs from morrasons google D104 .I lent my incubater out the person got 80 percent highland scotland last week..

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:13:17 am »
Leghorn should bring a god laying record to the party.  I generally set the first hatch of eggs after lambing's started (late March next year), which gives me a week "off" (Hah!) between the end of lambing and the first batch of chicks.  These are all rare breed large fowl and will normally start to lay in December.  Only the most exceptional birds are kept over the age of 18 months so we do tend to get a dip in eggs laid at this time of year, when those recovering from the moult coincide with those still coming up to POL.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »
Might try some of those Morrisons ones! I'm at the same stage as you Marches. All my POL were later hatches and all my 18 month old hens are in moult so no eggs at the mo. The only thing laying are my LS and all those eggs are going for hatching as fertility is still excellent. So I want something that will come into lay in June / July and then right through, then probably move them on to hobby keepers next autumn.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:23:09 pm »
25 Morrasons hens will lay more than a flok of mixt 50 hens that's haw good .They have the best sussex and lagorn whith 300 eggs                                                    http://www.johnstonspoultry.com/sussex.html

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »
I have decided I'm going to set some of my own LS eggs very early. Also I'm putting some brown hens in with a CLB cockerel to see if I can get the 'skyline' type hybrid. A bigger bird which lays more, bigger blue eggs than a standard CLB. Might be interesting. I might still put some speckldys with my Exchequer boy and the Morrisons idea is a must as well. Decided I'm going to start in early Jan and then get myself a polytunnel for the 5-10 week stage if it's cold in march / april.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 05:37:36 pm »
Well sterio we naw have legbars up to 260 eggs .wev used 1 old hen 3 seasons old the best layer olga all hens bred from her

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 06:00:24 pm »
I only ever hatch from hens past their first moult, preferably older. If they are still alive and laying well then you have a decent chance of a good strong chick. I've put Mr Exchequer in with the speckldies tonight with a view to setting eggs in Jan if they are laying. Should give me eggs starting around June time and hopefully through next winter. No idea what they will look like or the egg colour but it will be interesting. I'm guessing a RIR type egg (lots of from the leghorn) and hopefully the confidence of the speckledy will mean a calmer hen. I suppose it might work the other way though. We'll see.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS