Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the massive lamb  (Read 3850 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
the massive lamb
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:14:06 pm »
we were having the discussion about big lambs,this is the brut lamb i was on about..:)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: the massive lamb
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:16:52 pm »
OUCH!!

My friend had a massive lamb one year - the ewe hadn't looked particular big but I swear she gave birth to a 6m old :D He was comically huge next to the others for ages

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:25:51 am »
It takes about 4 months for our Hebbies to reach that size  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:41:43 am »
birth weight is a heritable enough trait for me not to want to breed from anything born that big

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:43:26 am »
Wow he's massive! I had a charrolais x lleyn x texel ewe and she gave massive lambs, this year I had to pull him, I have a few pics on me phone which I'll upload, he was truly massive.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:06:28 am »
Terrifying

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:56:16 am »
We cull tups that leave lambs that size.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:33 pm »
That lamb is a monster

Was the ewe fed alot pre lambing?

I think I am happy with my average lamb size being 3-5 kilos, the only ones I have had over 5 kilo was when I used a pure charollais on ewe lambs, didnt work out at all, ruined some sheep and stuck/dead lambs

Singles only get hay here, but then again twins and trips only get hay and protein tubs  :thinking:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:36 pm »
Biggest lamb we ever had was Southdown on a full-mouthed Badger Face.  Vet came in the day after it was born and said he thought it was at least a fortnight old.  Fed for a single, sire that threw good but not spectacular lambs ....?  Same thing the following year and the lamb was normal size.

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »
we had bought the ewe AI ed in lamb, bout 3 weeks before she was due...she came straight from the mountain  side an was put in the house an feed just silage an treacle for energy..normally our lambs are never near as big ..but every once in a while you ge ta monster...we didnt pull her...she was a 3rd crop ewe an had it lambed her self..the lamb was up an sooking within about 5 mins of being born

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »
If she did that on three weeks of molasses and silage I'd give her concrete and water this year

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 08:21:25 pm »
Makes you cross your legs just looking at him :o :o Bless him though :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS