Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: temporarily penning sheep  (Read 2681 times)

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
temporarily penning sheep
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:21:27 pm »
Question about moving my small flock of sheep. On my smallholding I've got 2 large fields and I fence the sheep in using electric fencing in one area, then move them onto a new area when they've munched that down. It works well, but I'm having a problem if I try to move them to an area that's not adjacent. I don't have enough fencing equipment to make 2 large areas at the same time, so have to take it down and move it. I make the sheep a nice large temporary enclosure using hurdles to keep them in while I do this. The problem is that one ewe will just not put up with this for longer than 5 minutes. The others are as good as gold, but she will try to jump the hurdles. Of course she can't, but is too stupid to realise this. The time before last, she nearly broke a leg, but shows no sign of having learnt a lesson (no surprise there).

Anyone have any ideas how I can stop this daft ewe from hurting herself while I move the fencing?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: temporarily penning sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »
Make the temporary pen much smaller, so she can't get a run up to try for a jump.  Basically have them compressed with only just enough room for them all to stand, as they would be in a trailer.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »
And cull her from the flock. We put up with two nutters (a mother and daughter) for years; culled them this year and the flock is so much easier to handle.

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:43:10 pm »
I agree with both replies - smaller pen to stop her jumping and then cull here. I too have had problems with the influence of a rogue Ewe / Lamb and they quite frankly make easy jobs hard.....

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:55:13 pm »
I agree with the culling part...

Each time I make a gather of say 60 sheep, I have two ewes with will jump and sprint back, often taking half the lot with them, they have made so many hours of extra work, they are now chucked in some rough grazing and will go as culls with any other culls in the spring

The flock is so much easyer to gather and work with without those two

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »
Sometimes with some ewes, they just don't respect people. A person with a dog and they go quite and act good as gold. Some just know they can take the piss out of you without a collie.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:56:40 pm »
ditching my 2 wildest ewes was the best thing I've done so far .... the next one to go will be the one that always hangs back when the rest follow the bucket in (ewe lambs then hang back too) .... lose her life will be much easier.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:21 pm »
Thanks all! Most answers are what I've been muttering under my breath each time I move them, but I'll try the smaller enclosure idea first ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS