Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram Digging the ground.  (Read 1383 times)

crofter 65

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Wester Ross
Ram Digging the ground.
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:52:22 am »
We have put our ram out with the ewes and have found that he is digging in the ground, I have found numerous places on the field he is in with the turf dug up. We have had him two years and have not seen this before.
Any ideas, is it a mineral deficiency? if so what do I do to sort this?

Thanks, Ronnie.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Ram Digging the ground.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 03:20:07 pm »
It could be a deficiency, however you should speak to your vet and explain the symptoms, he should be able to tell you. Is the ram working? Also is he showing any other weird patterns of behaviour?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »
When I put the ram in with the ewes I put a few sheep licks in the field, it helps keep the sheep healthy when the grass isn't as vitamin rich as it is during the rest of the year.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

crofter 65

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Wester Ross
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 06:16:31 pm »
He's working ok, and he is feeding ok as well, we have been putting lick buckets out but none since he went out so I will try that next.     

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS