Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please check my dates - Update!  (Read 7831 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Please check my dates - Update!
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »
Delilah has STILL not had her piglets.  She was with the boar from 7th to 10th July, then I brought her home (12 miles away and as far as I am aware, there is no boar closer).  I had worked out that I was expecting her piglets from Oct 31st ish.  Everyone on here kindly reassured me when she went a bit over, but I now really would someone to check my dates, as she is fully 3 weeks over.  Assuming I have them right (quite happy to be wrong!), how unusual is this?  I am hoping they are very imminent, she started nest building last week, and today she is full of milk, but it is all a bit stressful (for me, not her, she is fine)!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:44:37 pm by mowhaugh »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Please check my dates?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 05:15:29 pm »
I generally reckon about 116 days (16 weeks and 4 days) and none of mine have gone more than 6 days over that, but first timers are notorious for stringing things out.  If she's really nest building I'd expect something interesting to happen within 24 hours and more likely 12.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 08:43:09 pm »
I'm presuming the boar covering her was witnessed? Was scanning not an option? What parity is she?  Vaccinations (ery, prrs??)
I appreciate that my experience is totally removed from that of a smallholder but we would have scanned to see if n pig. I've known entire groups of sows abort or re absorb when not vaccinated.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:48:34 pm by BenBhoy »

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:50:15 pm »
If she was last with the boar on 10 july that would give a due date of 2nd november. None of ours have ever been more than 3 days later than the expected date but if she's got milk it certainly looks like something's happening. Are you sure you've got the service date right?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:55:13 pm »
Yes, we did see the boar cover her, and she is definitely in pig, I can feel the piglets moving and she now has teats full of milk, she has also been thoroughly checked by our vet,.  This is her first litter with us, but I think her third altogether.  It is so weird that it is taking so long!  The dates are very definitey correct, marked on our calendar, matches the dates on the movement licences, and fits in with what the boar owner wrote down and with what else I know I was doing that week too.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »
We've had gilts go best part of a week over. Mowhaugh - are you sure she has milk? Can you visibly see separation on stomach/nipple area? Can you post pics of her? I'm crap with words, better actually looking!

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:58:37 pm »
Wow very weird...!! All the best with the farrowing then!

We rely on AI 99% of time - I'm a more reliable boar than most boars!!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:59:50 pm »
She very definitely has milk.  I will take some photos when I go out on my next check.  Although I am reasonably new to pigs, I lamb 1200 ewes each year, as well as cows and ponies, so usually am pretty confident with pregnant animals, but this is just strange.  Sow is happy and healthy though, but if nothing by Monday, i think we might have another vet check, even if just to stop me cracking up!

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:08:42 pm »
We aim to have 70-90 sows farrow every week, and I'll be honest never had one go that far over and still go on to farrow healthy litter (not doom and glooming sorry m8). What breed is she?  Pigs pay my bills so we don't take any risks (sheep are a passionate hobby for me at the minute)

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:49 pm »
Maybe talk to your vet about inducing her?  Sounds pretty suspicious of something amiss to go that far over due date

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 06:04:23 pm »
What's her behaviour like? Is she nesting at all?
I had one go over about a week this year and there was a big, manky dead one holding up the others. Talk to the vet again if you're sure about the dates.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:10:38 pm »
Yes, she is nesting, spoke to vet (again!), said as she is happy/well/normal temp, resps etc is happy to wait until morning, unless a anything changes. Another sleepless night - children have coughs keeping them awake, so think might put them in with pig!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 07:40:10 pm »
Gosh you are more patient than me!

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:31:22 pm »
Oh dear, wouldn't be like one of mine to be awkward  :innocent:
I had a Kunekune go 2 weeks over once, definitely 2 weeks and no doubt about dates so it CAN happen but it seems to be rare. It'll be her second litter and she was on time last time round - all went without a hitch  :thumbsup:
Hope she gets a move on for you soon  :fc: Keep us posted.
Karen xx

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 03:31:24 pm »
Any news?
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS