Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BBC Scotland documentary  (Read 5207 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
BBC Scotland documentary
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:04:05 pm »
we had the pleasure of having a BBC camera man and interviewer on our croft for 2 days at the start of the summer holidays!
The premise was about children living in remote locations and how they live day to day etc so they asked at the local high school if there was anyone they thought suitable and were given our details. I think its going to be aired next year as part of a series called Scotland: how people live/work or some such.
They wanted to know everything warts and all so we of course made them tramp through mud, muck and the usual paraphenalia we have and they were delighted with all the footage they got and said of all the places they've filmed this was their favourite! And to be fair to them they arrived at 6am to catch the morning routine and followed my youngest during his school day and then the 1.5 hour bus journey home again before doing the evening chores.
Anyway, imagine my surprise when they phoned the other day to say they were going to be sending a drone to do some overhead shots so they can really get a picture of how remote we are  :o
My first reaction was oh crap I'll have to go out and tidy up a bit  :innocent: but it will be interesting to see it from the air.

Will post more details when they have a date etc for our 15mins of fame
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: BBC Scotland documentary
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:39:48 pm »
That's exciting, will look out for it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:43:55 pm »
Woohoo! Sounds interesting  :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:10:06 pm »
Amazing.  I would have melted with embarrassment at being filmed, and not been able to do my usual stuff, or speak without stumbling and squeaking  :roflanim:

Before the drone comes over you could sneak out and make a crop circle  ;D

Don't forget to remind us once you know when it will be aired.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
Amazing.  I would have melted with embarrassment at being filmed, and not been able to do my usual stuff, or speak without stumbling and squeaking  :roflanim:

Before the drone comes over you could sneak out and make a crop circle  ;D

Don't forget to remind us once you know when it will be aired.

All of the above from me too !  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:38:19 pm »
well I warned them they take us as they find us, kinda wishing we could get a preview before I tell too many people about it, it might be awful and we look like eejits  :-\

great idea about the crop circle but as we don't have much in the way on long grass or crops, unless we can do it in heather or bracken?....or we could just go and write HELP using fleeces but then knowing my luck the coastguard or similar would happen to fly over the same day!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »
I'll look forward to seeing that.
(Reminds me that earlier in the year I arrived up at the bus-stop on the main road with my school-bound passengers and found a BBC cameraman and assistant waiting there with the camera trained on one of the other kids who was being shadowed as part of "Being 16 in 2014" - when it was aired we had fun counting how many times one of our family appeared in the background)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:40:49 am »
update:

starts on BBC2 on 28th April at 9pm for 3 Tuesdays  :thumbsup:

you might see me at the end of the trailer that they are showing between programmes on the BBC at the moment

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:45:14 am »
I have set the alarm on my phone  :thumbsup:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 01:49:41 pm »
here's the link from last night's programme, we feature during the 1st half hour  :thumbsup:

BBC iPlayer - How Scotland Works - 3. 21st Century Scots

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 09:11:09 pm »
Your son was pretty impressive too - better not tell him or it'll go to his head ! Really enjoyed it anyway. Thank you.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 12:28:54 am »
oh he's already had lots of people singing his praise, but to be fair to him he is a great lad, the other 2 hardly know one end of a sheep from the other  ::)

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 01:09:03 pm »
Also enjoyed it very much. None of our children are interested in the croft but one grandson is quite keen!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS