Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thoughts on nose ringing bulls  (Read 8746 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Thoughts on nose ringing bulls
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 06:19:47 pm »
OH's current bull has a ring but the one before didn't, they are bought as stock bulls from the sales. I don't think so far we have had to use the ring on this bull, our crush is excellent and seems to restrain him well.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 06:25:25 pm »
ours isn't rung. hes no bother as hes very quiet. we have a crush and handling gates, and as yet havent had a reason to ring him. id rather he thought of me as the food lady rather than the one who hurt him.  ::) ::)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »
Ear lobes are soft fatty tissue - the pinna contains the cartilage - that's the bit that makes up the largest section of the outer ear in humans.

Don't think many other mammals have ear lobes - not quite sure what advantage they have, except of course for hanging earrrings and giving husbands an easy option for a Christmas present for the wife...

Sue

Mountainwoman

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 09:25:11 pm »
I'm on my third bull and none of  them  have had nose rings. We have not had any trouble apart from one who  started being bolshy and wouldn't  go where he was told  for a month or so towards the end. (not long before he went to the abbatoir.) I don't think a nose ring would have made any difference as you wouldn't have wanted to get near enough to him to be using it.  He would paw the ground and toss his head when you went past so I couldn't keep a bull who was doing this. I got scared of him and he knew it so that didn't help.
I do use the temporary nose rings ( mine has sort of springs rather than screwing in) I use it when they are already in the crush if I need to hold their head up and keep it still eg for replacing a tag or giving a drench if they are too strong  or too awkward for me to  hold their nose up ( cows too  if need be)  I find it works very well.
I have observed more experienced handlers doing the same thing with fingers in nostrils for these types of procedures but I don't seem to be able to coordinate everything well enough to do this and dodge horns and do the procedure.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:55 pm »
I don't think the bulldog clip is as effective as a ring for your safety/cattle restraint, I saw a farmer 1/2 killed once by a suckler cow he was holding with a halter and bulldog clips (front row seat - very scary)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS