Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giving it all up :0(  (Read 5884 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: Giving it all up :0(
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 07:19:13 am »
Thanks so much for all the replies! ???? they reinforce that it is the right thing to do.

We will definitely get some land at some point. Our dream is a couple acres to put a log cabin style house with a living roof and be as self sustainable as poss re heating and electricity etc. We tried for planning at my dads place a few years ago but the council wouldn't have it.

I think waiting until we have our own land is the best thing.  We will keep hold of some bits like the electric fencing and energisers as you never know when you want them!

Thanks again!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 07:20:45 am »
Sorry meant to put a happy smiling face not a confused one! Sorry!  :)
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 01:16:26 am »
What a wrench for you, but it sounds like you know it is the right decision. It's miserable feeling completely worn out all the time and worrying if you can manage to get everything needed done. Definitely a good idea to keep useful bits too, so you'll not be starting from scratch when you're ready again. Everyone here will be wishing you the best and still appreciate your input here too.  :fc:  for the pain clinic and hopefully they'll get you sorted out !
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 08:38:12 am »
Look on this not as giving up but regrouping. Let us hope you get your facial pain sorted quickly and that you can then start looking for somewhere new. As well as the equipment you are planning to keep, you also have experience and will know what you are looking for when you feel ready for more land and animals.  :fc:  For a speedy recovery.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 11:16:05 pm »
You have made the right decision,.  Much better to do it now, than carry on and things get really hard.  I know the feeling of struggling when you are not in full health.  I am fine in summer, but come winter my joints are not good, and doing everything on my own is hard work.  I really should take a leaf out of your book and be sensible and give up.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 06:29:53 pm »
Ditto Roxy. 

I remember last winter I barely survived but didn't want to give up while the prospect of physio etc might restore enough to carry on.  This year I have more mobility, manageable pain, half the pony numbers and I can't see things the way I used to.  So I reckon perhaps it's time to be realistic and find another way of living.  Just two issues, one, having older ponies and a stallion that wouldn't be particularly saleable and might go on another 15 years, and 2 I don't know what else to do.  And no I won't dump them or pts a healthy animal, I have been over that ground a lot.

So here I am facing another winter of twice daily animal rounds alone with weather and mud, arthritic fingers and feet making more problem than the rest of the usual joints, no income to speak of, fuel poverty, old car even older, house a state, a wall in the garage now cracked and falling out, lots more plans and ideas come to nothing..

I'm not sure why I'm here or where else I'd go.  But if I were in your position, I'd take at least a year out, and then look at it all again when you have options rather than just hard slog without pleasure.  Pain does that, takes the joy out and leaves work without end or reward in sight.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 08:30:12 am »
Were it not for my good neighbour who, I know, will look out for my creatures if I am unable I would think of giving up often. But, as Ellied says it's the animals who depend on you that keep you going.
I have resolved not to get any more sheep or breeding sows but just turn some of my land over to growing fruit, veg and flowers, selling veg boxes to family and a few friends at cost price providing they do a few hours a week in exchange :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS