Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giving it all up :0(  (Read 5885 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Giving it all up :0(
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »
We have decided to give our smallholding up for various reasons like distance and my health. We have both changed jobs and my husband no longer gets any time up there (he doesn't drive and its over half an hour away), its down to me. We share a friends land and its all got a bit much as I'm no good in the wind or cold or bending down.. I feel bad like I'd be letting my friend down as I cover whilst they go away etc and it means we don't have 5am starts everyday!

And as the NHS seems to have no interest in sorting my face pain in a hurry, I can't see us managing another busy summer with fencing and shearing our few sheep, moving the chicken pens is a huge task for me (its not really a problem its just I'm broken!lol). Also they have a lot more animals than us and doing the hay and water in the summer does me in for the rest of the day due to the pain meds I'm on making me very tired all the time.

I've put our sheep up for sale as I can't send them off (can't tow and no £ due to car needing almost a grand spent on it). Other bits like the chickens and ducks will have to go after xmas well.

Will see how my face gets sorted next year and look for a small bit of land closer to home to put a few hens on.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Giving it all up :0(
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »
That's such a shame  :(

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:00:33 pm »
Yes but also a bit of a relief that I can take things bit easier next year. We WILL set up again at some point over the next couple of years, but somewhere where we both can get to to enjoy it and put the effort in needed to do it properly.

At the moment I'm doing the minimal with them and in bad weather they are not having the time spent that they need. I spend most of my energy on my friends animals as they have more and its our 'rent' that we help with theirs so it did suit  both of us until work patterns changed and I got ill. I'm hoping my dad or my inlaws will let us keep our three favourite hens in their big garden until we can set up again.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »
I know just how you feel my dear :hug: It's a relentless job tending animals, every morning and evening, rain, shine, snow and poorliness.
I sometimes wish I had nothing reliant on me, not as much as a goldfish in a bowl and could stay in bed as long as I please!!
But, I have promised my 10 year old grandson that I will tend his few sheep and I have my dear old sows to think of. Also, I have willed my land to Charlie when I die (though I have had to promise not to die before he is 35!!)
Any problems with your hens, I can care for them until you're ready to start again.  Sylvia X

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:46:53 pm »
Hi Sylvia! that's so kind of you. we bought a lovely Indian game cockerel from you a few years ago. Unfortunately his heart gave out a couple of weeks ago, I had decided to start meds for him, but it was too late. A  bit silly medication for a boy I know, but he was a particular favourite. we have his off spring and their off spring still!

We will still have the 3 dogs, cat and pony (have found lovely grass livery near home for him), so will still be busy!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:16:20 pm »
Look upon the next couple of years as a "consolidation" period, where you can get properly better, make careful plans for future livestock (which includes "fun" type things like going to agricultural shows and reading relevant books) and be well prepared for your smallholding relaunch.  It's not giving up, it's strategic forward planning!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you get better soon. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
Sounds like you've made the right decision for you, now.  We have always said that if we no longer enjoy what we do, then we'll stop.
Constant pain is so debilitating, and because no-one else can see it, they perhaps don't understand.  Is it neuralgia? Have you tried Amitryptaline, or a pain clinic yet?

Here's hoping you can find a smaller piece of land just for you and your OH, close to home.  Life without hens lacks something  :chook: :chook: :chook:

Good luck.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 04:29:31 pm »
Hi yes its trigeminal neuralgia.  Its taken over a year but have pain clinc next month as Gp says only they can refer for an mri and to see a neuro. On gabapentin but having bad break thru pain this week.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 04:47:35 pm »
hope things turn out well FF  :fc:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 04:59:09 pm »
its the best bet .iv had 2014 out whith dad parkinsons and doin part time fixing building and welding .so back next spring . You have to put youre self first all the best.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 05:20:15 pm »
sometimes we need to down-size and have a break. if its a relief then its the right thing to do.  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 05:45:04 pm »
Well done for making what must have been a very hard decision.   :hug:

I hope they get your pain and other problems sorted out, and you can keep your hens  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 06:00:39 pm »
 :hug:  enjoy your break and get yourself well. You'll be back before you know it, fully refreshed.

Hope you manage to keep your hens to help tide you over.  :chook:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:34 am »
So sorry you've had to make this hard decision but, as others have said, you have to put yourself and your health first. I do know, however, how hard it is to part with animals that you've reared. When I first became disabled and thought I was going to have to part with my goats, I was distraught. It's only due to very good friends who took over while I was really bad, and my OH who does most of the feeding and all the heavy work, not to mention the student who works for me at weekends, who keeps the shed and yard clean, that I still have them. At least I can still manage the milking and can sit and watch them.

I hope that you manage to find your own little patch of land when you are well again, and can get more sheep.  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS