Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping both mv and non mv stock  (Read 4366 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
keeping both mv and non mv stock
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:29:53 pm »
Does anyone keep both MV accredited sheep and non MV accredited sheep on the same holding?.
I would like to purchase some purebred MV accredited sheep in the very near future, which I would hope to show, the breed I have settled on stipulates at society sales all stock must be MV. My issue is as I am on rented grazing I am limited to what I can do. I run 30 commercial ewes currently in one of the five fields (two big fields on one side, I'm in one) the rest on the other but I did use the other big field at the other side until recently. My thoughts are I could always have them separate from my non MV stock but does the set aside paddock need inspected before I purchase any MV stock and would it need a two meter gap around the boundary in case of contact?. Are there any other stipulations other than not during equipment etc? I can't access the MV rules on the website as my tablet will not open it, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: keeping both mv and non mv stock
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
I think it will be hard ----they are tightening up the MV accreditation rules I am told
+ it will cost a bit of course

You better go through the rules in detail and discuss it with your vet (I think that vets do the initial certifying? Certainly did last time I had anything to do with it

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:38:43 pm »
Thanks Tim,there are plenty who do it locally just unsure they are fully abiding by the rules. Bit awkward for people who would like to do both will consult my vet and try to get access to something that will open the downable MV section on the sruc website. Either I find myself a nice pedigree breeds that doesn't need to be MV or I forget about it for now,

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:27:16 pm »
Or MV the lot

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:32:44 pm »
I had considered that, but the financial cost of accrediting 30 commercial Suffolk crosses (and one tip, who was MV) is probably going to be costly and eat into my already slim profit margins. Ideally I would love a small flock of pedigree suffolks, but its a lot to think about especially the financial aspect. I do like the look of Hampshire down sheep, haven't looked into these yet.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:31 am »
I too myself are thinking of going MV or starting to go MV next year

The plan is to buy in a load of ewes next year (40-50 ish) of the shedding variety plus a tup, then become a closed flock and go fully MV, only buying in tups when I need them

That would put me at 150 ewes next year

I thought that if you did MV across a larger number then the cost would be spread more thinly and cost less per sheep? as in the brochure I have, as soon as you are above a certain number, its not all the sheep that need testing, just a % of them

So by doing your commercial ewes aswel, then maybe your costs per sheep would be lower  :thinking:

I may be wrong

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 10:06:11 pm »
first qualifying test : usually all sheep over 12 months
2nd qualifying test: 6-12months later. all sheep over 12 months
routine test: 12 months later. all over 18months. But if more than 55 in flock then test all tups & teasers plus a percentage of ewes, plus anything over 12 months brought in since last test.
then every 2-3 years depending if mv & non mv on same holding.
If you start with mv accredited sheep only they can retain their status. test all over 12 months in 6 months time then 1st routine test 12 months later.

A lot of farmers do successful run mv & non mv flocks but generally it is simpler to have them all accredited eg sharing tups between groups, lambing sheds, twinning on etc

the health scheme number is 01463 226995 os sghs@sac.co.uk if you need an information pack sent out

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:51:23 am »
Thanks farm vet  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS