Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fire Lighting  (Read 10394 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Fire Lighting
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 12:05:41 pm »
Wind blown oak twigs, once dry, go up like an inferno and burn for a surprisingly long time. Free to collect too
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 06:15:15 pm »
Dried orange peel lights easily and burns really well - may just do the job you need, lighting from the newspaper and lighting the kindling.  When I eat an orange, the peel goes on top of the stove to dry.

Silage net also burns extremely well.  If you don't have your own, your local farmer will almost certainly let you have some. 

Our house used to be cold and damp too, before we got the Rayburn.  But by keeping an old newspaper, and some twigs and small sticks near to the woodburner, there is always some dry fire-starting stuff.

My fire-starting technique is:

* empty the grate - clear the route you want the air drawn through to the underneath of the fire.  I agree with whoever said that with some woodburners it actually helps to not clean out the part-burned stuff and ash from on top of the grate completely, just where you are building the start of the fire, and underneath where the air is to be drawn in
* make a draft proof 'pit' if necessary (that remaining ash and so on can help here, or a few logs as FW says)
* scrumple three sheets of newspaper loosely and place in bottom of pit
* twist two separate sheets of newspaper into tightly-twisted sticks and place on top
* if I have some, shred a couple of old loo rolls or other useful cardboard / stiff paper type stuff on top - just a bit, don't smother it
* a dried orange peel next, if I have one
* three or four small twigs, must be very dry, dropped on top, spread out but crossing over each other
* three or four slightly larger very dry twigs / sticks on top of those, again spread out but crossing each other
* a couple of bits of chopped pallet or similar on top of these - if sticks, about 3/4" diameter - and dry
* light the newspaper at the bottom in a couple of places
* manage the draft to ensure the air is being drawn up through the fire from underneath.  In an open fireplace, this is usually accomplished by a sheet of a broadsheet paper opened up and held across the whole fireplace, so that the only air gap is below the grate.  Hold it taut so it doesn't get sucked in and lit!  Or a big sheet of cardboard that covers the whole opening works brilliantly - and once it's started to be a bit scorched, it's great to be torn up for layer #3 next time ;)
* when the twigs start to crackle, put a bit more wood on top - don't smother it

If I have some silage net and want to use it, it goes on top of the first layer of twigs with some more twigs on top of it / stuck through it. (Of course the net needs to be dry too.)

Other tips I've picked up over the years... save the 'brash' from larch and other coniferous trimmings, keep them dry and in two years they are phenomenal firelighting material - when they're so dry they crumble.

Some woodworking places will sell you - or let you collect - sawdust and wood planings/chippings; as long as these are dry, a handful in a paper bag is good firelighting/rescuing stuff.

Our local woodworking place produces discs of dried, compressed wood waste; £3 a bag, and these are as good as any firelighter once lit.  (Not quite as easy as Zip to light, but not very hard.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 07:39:54 pm »
The best kindling is old chopped up staves from whisky barrels - they light pretty fast - horrid smell though  :innocent:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:32 pm »
It's worth reading all this thread to pick up good tips but a few points should be emphasised
Cutting and storing twigs as kindling for 150 plus days is impossible.
Lighting logs is difficult.
Fire lighters are cheaper than a daily newspaper, Fleecewife describes a good way to reduce the stove area for lighting by putting larger pieces or logs at the back and sides then building up the centre with smaller bits of wood.

I cut up all branches and mix them with split logs. The smaller branches can be put under a log to ensure oxygen flow under the logas and the branches will light quicker.

Very important to burn off yesterday's soot and tar with a real roaring burn for 20-30 mins. It may seem an extravagant use of wood but a clean chimney is safe and will ensure good burns and easy lighting.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:11:34 am by spandit »
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 10:31:55 pm »

A question for all you with stoves and open fires - how do you light them?

We have trouble keeping newspaper dry enough for it to really burn well, and I'm too tight to resort to commercial firelighters.  I've had some success using wax from those mini cheese things, but we don't eat enough cheese to keep up with the demand at this time of year! Any tips?  :thumbsup:

Womble ,would  you know what I mean when I used the words " Make paper crackers " ?

Put some of your papers in tied up plastic carrier bags and slip one under each settee /armchair seat cushion so the heat of your bum dries them out .

or

Lay the open papers in front of the fire till they're nice & dry then bag then up as made up paper crackers & seal the top off .
 Plastic carrier bags also make nice fire lighters as they drip hot burning molten plastic down on the lower fuel ( three or four are good for starting outside bonfires) 

If you can only get your papers in big bundles only do a few at a time  .
 Three well made paper cracker will light almost any fire .. Though if as you say the wood is damp why not  bring the next days kindle into the house and leave it by the fire on an old roasting tray to dry off a bit .

Back in the late 1950'smy Uncle Jack used to cut up the weeks kindling wood on the Saturday afternoon after he'd finished work and stacked the sticks in three  large catering sized bean tins into which he'd first poured about an inch of diesel .
The sticks soon soaked all of the diesel up and didn't drip any as he brought six or seven into the living room to make the fire at 06. 00 every morning. 
He said used the three tins because a cut down steel 5 gall drum took too much diesel and the sticks dripped with fuel .

All his other fire wood was stacked neatly cut & some split against a galv steel wall and covered with old corn bags & an old rotting tarp .
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:48:38 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 09:54:58 am »
We use tea light candles as fir lighters, just one or two each day does the job.  Remember to take the metal casing off though...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 05:51:21 pm »
Pine cones - nature's firelighters.  And always 3 logs to make the initial fire smaller ( see FW post) :thumbsup:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 07:34:15 am »
I used to mess about with newspaper and cardboard etc..but now it's simply a dry woodstore, clean chimney, a small piece of firelighter (yup, blow the 2p) under a few thinner logged branches - 1-1.5" and stack prgressively thicker ones on top.

If your having problems it's likely a lack of draw somewhere. The reason here was the amount of tar buildup on the predecessors birdwire cowl - a new cowl and it was all sorted.

NYorksBoy

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 09:30:16 am »
I saw a piece of copper pipe at a country show. It had been flattened at one end but for a small hole the idea you blow thro one end and it really gets the embers going, I made my own with an off cut of pipe about 16 inches, put a round nail in one end and flattened around it with a small hammer then removed the nail,
It works great when the kindling didn't quite take but your paper seems to have burned away.a bit like a blacksmiths bellows it gets it going and generally less blow back from old ash!
Works for me !

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 10:06:55 am »
The golden rule with a fire is that you dont't ever, ever, put anything with any moisture in it on the fire. It's the equivalent of driving with the brakes on.
I now pre-heat all of my wood fuel on a rack on top of the stove. I only put it in the fire when the grain has gone crazed- the wood has then had all of the moisture baked out of it.
On the odd occasion when I've been unable to do this, I am amazed at how little output I get from what appears to be a good fire. Seasoned, dry stored wood is good, but cannot compete with what is effectively kiln-dried.

My kindling lives in the space underneath the stove. At the moment I have a supply of old gym hall flooring. The bottom thin layer of plywood peels into little strips which light instantly from a lighter. The middle breaks into fingers of white softwood. The top veneer layer has some sort of flammable varnish on it and burns like billy-o. No firelighters involved :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 05:15:50 pm »
I think "dry" is the key word, whether it's newspaper, cardbard or sticks.  If you have a berberis in the garden the prunings are very good firelighters once dried.  The type of wood you're trying to burn will have a big impact on how well the fire goes - ash being the king.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS