Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: an e-petition  (Read 2392 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
an e-petition
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:42:37 pm »
Please read and, if you choose to, sign this e- petition
 StunB4 slaughter
Any questions, comments etc, please pm or e-mail me direct.
This message is absolutely nothing to do with race or religion but all to do with the welfare of our food animals

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: an e-petition
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:31:16 pm »
Might be my ipad but I can't find a link in your post.  Happy to sign anything that will end barbaric slaughter.  Well, we can hope.
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/64331

almost 80K signatures already
"The Government encourages the highest standards of welfare at slaughter and would prefer to see all animals stunned before they are slaughtered for food. However, we also respect the rights of the Jewish and Muslim communities to eat meat prepared in accordance with their religious beliefs. Recently, the Prime Minister has confirmed that that there would be no ban on religious slaughter in the UK.

Both EU Regulation 1099/2009, on the protection of animals at time of killing, and the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 (WASK), as amended, permit slaughter without stunning to be carried out in accordance with religious rites. Within both regulations there are strict requirements on where, how and who can slaughter animals in accordance with religious rites. These requirements are monitored and enforced by Official Veterinarians of the Food Standards Agency to ensure that animals are spared unnecessary suffering, distress or pain during the slaughter process.

The Government is aware that there is public concern about meat from animals slaughtered in accordance with religious beliefs being sold to consumers who do not require their meat to be prepared in this way. Currently, there are no specific EU or national legal requirements governing the sale and labelling of halal or kosher meat. However, where any information of this nature is provided it must be accurate and must not be misleading to the consumer.

The Government believes that consumers should have the necessary information available to them to make an informed choice about their food. We are awaiting the results of a European Commission study on method-of-slaughter labelling which is due this summer. We will look at possible options in light of that report."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:11:35 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:36:42 pm »
Signed

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 09:28:03 am »
Just tried signing and been told I have already signed! Old age strikes again!

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »
Signed. It's plain wrong and it's doubly wrong that the "rejected" bits (hindquarters) of animals killed this way are sold to the general public with absolutely no warning that this is what they are buying.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:54 pm »
Just tried signing and been told I have already signed! Old age strikes again!

Oops me too ???
Anne

kim

• Joined Jun 2012
  • dundee angus
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:18 pm »
Signed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS