Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello and a grazing question  (Read 4299 times)

BrianJ

• Joined Nov 2014
Hello and a grazing question
« on: November 20, 2014, 10:04:10 am »
Hello. We live in Wales and are in the process of purchasing a house and plot of some 8 acres of valley bottom land. The plot is not at present a registered smallholding but we may choose to do so in future.

I have a question about grazing rights. The current owners say there is no grazing arrangement with a neighbouring farm but allow sheep grazing on a ad hoc basis. Unfortunately I am aware that the farmer has a record of claiming grazing rights and indeed ownership of land.

My question is: Are grazing rights attached to the land or will a new owner be able to negotiate anew?

BrianJ

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hello and a grazing question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 09:31:08 am »
I am not aware of grazing rights "belonging" to enclosed land but you should ask your solicitor to check if there is anything specific to your particular situation. Good luck!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:48:11 am »
Hello and welcome from Carmarthenshire. I would agree, get your solicitor to check up before you part with your money
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:15:57 pm »
hello!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:57:52 pm »
Get the owner of the property to get the neighbours animals off for 30 day before purchase and grazing rights will stop.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:49:44 am »
I agree with what's been said.
In addition, warning bells would be ringing pretty loud by now and I'd be asking myself why the sheep weren't removed as soon as the house was put on the market. The last thing you want is to be purchasing a legal battle along with your land, and I would certainly halt the sale until it's all been sorted out to your satisfaction and that of your solicitor.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:01:09 am »
I can't help but I do know my dads boss bought a hotel with 30 acres of land. He was told the farmer who was keeping sheep on the land just did it as a friendly agreement to keep the grass down. they've had the hotel now for 6 year and had planning permission for a spa to be built and car park on the said land. the farmer put a stop to it all by claiming he had used the land for so many years. after a lot of money spent on soliciters they have now given up trying to get him off. The law is on his side.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 10:13:52 am »
Personally I'd talk to the farmer directly and get his view.  If he believes he has grazing rights, and you can't live with that, don't buy the property.  If you have to get your solicitor involved to get him evicted, you've already alienated a neighbour before you move in.

If the vendor has misrepresented the situation then s/he, and potentially the estate agent too, are at fault; you may be able to reclaim any costs you've incurred thus far.

I do hope the farmer's a nice person and it all gets resolved amicably :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

BrianJ

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 02:21:00 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.

The sheep were removed before the sale and I have had no new approach from the grazer who assured me (before the purchase) that it was a agreement for 10 months per year at £300. So far things seem ok.

We have yet to decide if registering as a small holding is the right way for us but there is no rush :)

regards BrianJ

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 02:25:38 pm »
Registering as a smallholding costs nothing.  What will you do with the fields if you don't register?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS