Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Timber sources and log processors  (Read 6348 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Timber sources and log processors
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:21 pm »
Hi

I've got my new ETA log boiler installed - an expensive decision, helped largely by the availabiltiy of the RHI payment!

Now, in order for it to make me some money, i need to get the price of my logs down!

Currently paying about £45 per cubic metre for hardwood logs.

However, i'm hoping to reduce that further by buying unprocessed timber and employing the services of a log processor to cut it all down for me.

Anyone know of any suppliers that can supply the timber and a log processor chap who can come and cut it down

Need someone who will supply/serve the linlithgow/Falkirk area

If you have any indication of how much these services are as well, much appreciated.

Ta

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Timber sources and log processors
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:23:07 pm »
Hi Sellickbhoy,  I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how things were going for you?

There was a thread about this previously that might help you for contacts?....

Please do post how you get on, as I'd be interested to know more about the practicalities of buying in timber and processing it ourselves.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:34:20 pm »
Life is good womble.

the veggie business is still on hold....for now....but once again, redundancy looming, so may be revisited.

Bairn number 2 arrived 8 months ago...so between the bairns and what feels like never ending building projects, life has been busy.

I was looking forlornly at the shallot and garlic sets I'd bought with the intention of planting at the end of sept but are still in my shed......maybe this weekend I'll get them in the ground....but even the veggie growing appears to be on hold.

On the plus side, the rasps and strawbs are proving to be low work/max reward summer time treat which makes up for it.....as they go very nicely in a glass of prosecco!!

:-)

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:45:11 pm »
I've heard of someone importing 40 foot boxes of hardwood, from the Baltic states I believe. Probably not very 'sustainable' but there you go.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:12:37 pm »
Hi Sellickbhoy,  I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how things were going for you?

Funnily enough, so was I. Good to see you back. Can't help with your query but  :wave:

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:46:26 pm »
I've heard of someone importing 40 foot boxes of hardwood, from the Baltic states I believe. Probably not very 'sustainable' but there you go.

funnily enough, i've just had an email from the good people at Ofgem in the last 30 mins

in order to continue receiving the RHI payments, you must now buy your fuel from one of their approved list of suppliers

Of course, you have to buy the kit from one of their approved suppliers and use one of their approved installers....and they knwo you are getting the rhi payments, so they double their price.....and guess what, the suppliers on their approved list are amongst the most expensive there are out there.

This leaves me a huge headache - having just spent the equivalent of a years salary to install the bloody thing (expecting to get a decent return over the 20 years RHI grant) the goalposts have been moved to the point that I'll be lucky to get ANYTHING back at all

i suddenly feel completely and utterly conned.

Apparently there is an option to be a certified self supplier - and this is likely the route i'm going to have to go down...meaning setting myself up in business as a log processor/provider and registering with them as a supplier....then again, I see it could be a good business opportunity now to print money!

Ho hum.........another day, another challenge!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:07:10 pm »
Even if it was feasable unless you are buy from the Forrest, felling, carting home splitting and stirring and drying it isn't wont be much cheaper than the £45 per cude you are currently paying !

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »
Hi folks,  I buy my firewood direct from tree surgeons, the last lot was £40 for well over 2 tons ..... if you're happy to get stuck in with your own chain saw there are big savings to be had.
Dave

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 11:12:48 am »
The forestry commisson sells softwood at 21/ton + VAT (5%).  You have to organise a haulier and the problem that we have in our area (so I am told) is that the hauliers are running flat out on big jobs and so are not interested in doing a single load.

It has been unconfirmed but fairly well known for the last year that there would be some sort of rule that wood would have to come from approved suppliers.  The thinking is that the RHI is there to benefit the environment and shipping felled virgin rainforest around the world to be burned would perhaps not be great for the environment.  It does however, mean that supplies are limited and prices higher which is really frustrating.

I think the self supplier option is aimed at people who produce timber from their own land but would be keen to find out the details as this will be the route that I hope to go down (I have 2ha of old trees and 2ha of recently planted trees so should be able to supply most of my wood in the longer term).

I have an ETA log boiler, installed a year ago and think it is great.  Pricey but worth it.  I used about 2 1/2 tons of dry softwood over the last year which covered all of our CH and DHW - but every house will be different.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:31 am »
I don't see the wood lasting the hard woods will be gone in under 8 seasons the soft wood onley burns half to hard wood as you no I do sell a lot that's 97 ton soon as a long cold spell comes it will be gone .So importing it whith coal It  wont last .

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 08:50:57 pm »
A friend of mine sells an artic straight out of the forest for £800 plus transport, he is based shrops but does a lot in Wales
He also sells wholesale cut & split an artic load at £30 per cube.
I think you get about 60 cubes

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 10:42:28 pm »
A friend of mine sells an artic straight out of the forest for £800 plus transport, he is based shrops but does a lot in Wales
He also sells wholesale cut & split an artic load at £30 per cube.
I think you get about 60 cubes
[/quote
I doubt very much that your friend sells hard wood at this price ! If so hes selling it cheaper than it costs to grow and harvest !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS