Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Playing with fleece  (Read 7533 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Playing with fleece
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 01:16:21 pm »
My Mum had a similar tubular sock pattern, all our boot socks were like that when I was little. :)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 06:18:35 pm »
Good idea to make a hat first.

If and when you want to try a sock, you can make perfectly acceptable socks as a tube by knitting a spiral rib as follows.  (The pattern may look complicated, but all you are doing is a knit 4, purl 4 rib, and shunting it over by one stitch every 5th round - ever so simple, promise.)

I use 2.5mm needles for socks, and find that 56 stitches is about right for my foot. Do check before you knit too much of the sock!

Row 1 : *k4 p4 * repeat between ** until end of row
Repeat row 1 three times

Row 5 : p1, *k4 p4*, repeat between ** until 3 stitches from end, k3
Repeat row 5 three times

Row 9 : p2, *k4 p4*, repeat between ** until 2 stitches from end, k2
Repeat row 9 three times

Row 13 : p3, *k4 p4*, repeat between ** until 1 stitch from end, k1
Repeat row 13 three times

Row 17 : *p4 k4* repeat between ** until end
Repeat row 17 three times

Row 21 : k1, *p4 k4*, repeat between ** until 3 stitches from end, p3
Repeat row 21 three times

Row 25 : k2, *p4 k4*, repeat between ** until 2 stitches from end, p2
Repeat row 25 three times

Row 29 : k3, *p4 k4*, repeat between ** until 1 stitch from end, p1
Repeat row 29 three times

Repeat rows 1 to 32 to desired length of sock less 2 inches, then shape toe.

Toe:

Put stitch markers at beginning and midpoint of round, and midway between those, so that you have 4 equal segments.

Row 1: *k1, decrease by knitting two stitches together, knit to next marker, slip marker*, repeat ** to end of round
Row 2: knit all round

Repeat rows 1 & 2 until 8 stitches remain.  Break yarn, leaving about 8".  Using a tapestry needle, run the yarn through all remaining stitches, remove knitting needles, pull yarn snug and tie off.  Sew in the end.

Although there's no shaped heel, the spiral rib gives a comfortable fit around any heel and ankle.  And the styling means you can wear it any way - there's no top or bottom of foot - so that any wear is shared around the whole circumference.

I think I can follow that.... Except, is it on circular needles, normal, or 5x dpns? Thanks. Will have a go with normal wool first :-).  I have done ok on my dpns... Until after turning heel, where I have become stuck.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 12:48:24 am »
is it on circular needles, normal, or 5x dpns?

Either circs (using magic loop - so a circ that's long enough to double back on itself), or two circs, or 4 or 5 dpns, as you prefer.

Will have a go with normal wool first :-). 

Very good plan  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS