Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How hot is too hot for a broadband router?  (Read 2428 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
How hot is too hot for a broadband router?
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »
I'm trying to solve problems with unreliable broadband. Connecting the router to the pc doesn't improve things. An new ADSL filter ditto. Unplugging phone ditto. The lights flicker on the router at times and it gets so hot underneath I can only touch it for a few seconds. (It is sitting on a cane table.) It is the original router from when I first launched on the superhighway - about 8 or 9 years ago. Cannot get BT in person despite 10 min waits in a queue. May ring them tomorrow at 4am when I get up for an early shift! Is it normal for a router to get really hot?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: How hot is too hot for a broadband router?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:20:07 pm »
Izzy, I'm not the most knowedgeable person on this type of things but the very hot router doesn't sound normal to me. Certainly ours only just gets warm.
Maybe its time for a new router?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:33:16 pm »
I had to phone BT recently a few times- I found morning was best. Tried at night and was on hold for 20 mins before I gave up. Especially when I was calling them on a mobile because the landline didn't work!

Beth

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:04:48 pm »
i got so fed up with the BT customer service, I switched provider. Not sure about how hot but it doesn't sound great - ours is not that hot and that is pretty good going for any electrical gadget these days. Our wireless is very hit and miss but I think it's that we're at the end of the line and still on the old broadband. Highspeed broadband is coming soon so we'll see whether that sorts it..

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:05:34 pm »
Shouldn't  get that hot - sounds like a fire risk to me. They're not too expensive new or you can often get them on Freegle/Freecycle
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS